Forum rules - please read before posting.

Defaulting to movement on exit

edited March 2021 in Engine development

Ok, I totally understand this might be impossible. It's just an idea.

I have a scene that must be started with the movement method set to First Person, however during the scene I do an Engine: Manage System to set the movement method to none (as I don't want the player to be able to do standard first person movement things after a certain puzzle).

On exiting play mode however the AC settings will preserve the change to the movement method set to none. What then happens in when I replay the scene, I have to manually change it back to First Person before hitting play again. Or I forget, and everything appears broken.

It would be cool if there was a way to set a project default for movement method, and even if it changes during play, on exit it goes back to the default.

Comments

• AC Manager settings are stored in asset files - so changes made to them will be retained once you exit Play mode.

The easiest way around this is to reset the value when the game begins - rather than when it ends. To do this, you can use the same Action type in an asset assigned in the Settings Manager's ActionList on start game field.

To instead set the value when you exit the game, use a simple script:

using UnityEngine;

public class ResetMovement : MonoBehaviour
    {

void OnDisable ()
        {
            AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.movementMethod = AC.MovementMethod.FirstPerson;
        }

void OnApplicationQuit ()
        {
            OnDisable ();
        }

}

This will reset the movement method once its disabled, so if you attach it to your PersistentEngine prefab, it'll kick in when the game ends.

• Of course. I could just set the movement OnStart as a safeguard. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Long day.