Forum rules - please read before posting.

Play in Background dialogue actions timed to audio sample length?

Dear all,

We've got a number of bits in our game where an actionlist is running dialogue in the background, so the player doesn't need to click to advance to the next line: for example, there's a radio that crackles away when activated. Because play in background causes the next action to be executed the frame after the preceding one, unless I put a wait after each line, the audio of one line of dialogue is often cut-off by the next line of dialogue starting.

Is there a automatic way to make the dialogue action be displayed for as long as its associated audio sample (at minimum), or is a manual Wait:(howeverlongthesampleis) between each line the best way to go?

Cheers,

Martyn

Comments

• Rather than having the Action play in the background, have the ActionList itself run in the background - see the Manual's "Background logic" for more.

Alternatively, you could rely on Timeline to play the speech via Speech Tracks and have it run during gameplay.

• Fantastic!

I think I misunderstood the difference between a dialogue action running in background and the actionlist as a whole doing so: As a result, I had both set, resulting in the rather fiddly setup I describe above.

For anyone else struggling with something similar, simply setting the actionlist to run in background, but the dialogue actions "as normal" i.e. without run in background ticked, resulted in the full spoken dialogue playing before going straight to the next one. Nice!

-M-