Forum rules - please read before posting.

Menu Custom Animation strange behaviour

Hello,
sorry to bother again. I've got an Intro Menu made as Unity UI in scene (the reason behind this is that I cannot put it in overlay otherwise it wouldn't get the postprocessing effect of the camera in some scenes).

This menu works as an Intro Canvas, in which I want to show a black screen, then some text after 2 seconds, which stays there for 5 seconds, and then fades out in 3 seconds. I've tried almost everything I could think of, but to no avail. If I call the same ActionList manually with "Run Now", everything works fine even if I call it several times. But whenever I change scene, the fade in action list doesn't work anymore, and the Off animation does get called but not from the start.

You can see all the images here

I'm getting really nervous because I'd like to close the demo by tomorrow morning, and it's 5 days already that I'm fighting with this menu.

As usual, my Unity version is 2020.2.0f and AC is version 1.72.4

Thanks for your time
Willy

Comments

• edited April 2021

Your "Generic_IntroUI_Fade" ActionList has you enabling the Menu system. Does this mean it's previously disabled - at the time you want to be controlling the Menu? That may interfere with its behaviour.

Are you getting any messages in the Console related to the Menu?

It shouldn't be strictly necessary to have the Menu be in the scene to allow for post-processing. Is it due to having to assign the Camera field in the Canvas to the scene camera? If so, that can be automated through script on a prefab menu.

Is the animation issue resolved by moving the menu to a prefab?

• uhm, I disable the Menu system because I don't want to manually lock every menu during the intro, like the pause menu and the InGame menu. I can try moving the menu to a prefab and make it get the mainCamera on the first OnEnable, I'll give it a shot now and let you know soon

• Hi Chris,
    I've tried changing the menu to prefab, but I still got the same issue. Whenever I change scene, the animation does not perform normally

• edited April 2021

I disable the Menu system because I don't want to manually lock every menu during the intro

Temporarily undo this, while we diagnose the issue - we'll need to be sure it's not conflicting.

Whenever I change scene, the animation does not perform normally

Are you getting any messages in the Console related to the Menu?

Keep your Animator window open at runtime - what exactly gets run, and when? If necessary, it is possible to manually run the animations using the Object: Animate Action.

• Hi Chris,
    no, I'm not getting any message in the console, apart from the comments that I've put in the ActionListEditor. The animator gets the correct animation run, but instead of seeing the blue bar of the elapsed time within the "On" and "Off" animations, after the scene change I see as if the time is stuck at the end of the animation, or it gets called twice, or it never completely turns off the menu... I'm lost, can't figure out what the problem is anymore

• I don't have enough information to diagnose the problem. Is this after re-enabling the Menu system?

Try using the Object: Animate Action in the way I described - have it affect the prefab, and it should affect the runtime instance provided it has a Constant ID component attached.

• Yes, I'm no longer disabling the menu system before using the Intro Menu as described. I'll try using the "Object:Animate" action and see what happens