Forum rules - please read before posting.

Change verb language and add menu to save games

edited April 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello! Recite I bought the AC and I am using the 9 verb template to develop my new adventure. I would like to know how to change the verb language, I need Spanish as default language. And I would also like to know if it is possible to change the language during the game.
On the other hand, I have also used in the project the package of saving games with screenshots, but I would like to associate it with a keyboard button. I’m quite new to this, could you help me, please?

Comments

• Welcome to the commmunity, @croquetasesina.

I would like to know how to change the verb language, I need Spanish as default language.

The verbs available in your game are defined in the Cursor Manager, under the "Interaction icons" section. There you can find the names of all the verbs used by the template.

And I would also like to know if it is possible to change the language during the game.

Certainly. You can define translations for your game at the bottom of the Speech Manager, though you'll need to click "Gather text" to gather up your game's text in order for it to be translateable. A tutorial on this process can be found here. /tutorials/adding-translations

Once you have another language set up, you can switch to it either using the default Options menu, or by using the Save: Set Option Action. Which language your game uses by default can be set at the bottom of the Settings Manager, in the "Default Options" section.

I have also used in the project the package of saving games with screenshots, but I would like to associate it with a keyboard button. I’m quite new to this, could you help me, please?

In what way do you wish to use a keyboard button? To run an autosave, without the use of a menu?

To do that, you can create a new "Active Input", which is a way of mapping an ActionList asset to an input listed in Unity's Input Manager. The Save: Save or load Action can be used to autosave the game.

See the Manual's "Active Inputs" chapter for more on how this topic works, or share more details if I'm misunderstanding your intent here.

• No, I really want to add the classic menu where you can decide what to do. Whether to load game, save current game, continue playing or exit the game. But for the time being, I would be happy to have the "SaveScreenshots" menu open when F5, for example, is displayed.

In advance, thank you so much for your help, ChrisIceBox

• I would be happy to have the "SaveScreenshots" menu open when F5, for example, is displayed.

You can create an Active Input to run an ActionList that opens the Menu when a given key is pressed.

Go to Unity's Input Manager and create a new Input named e.g. "OpenSaveMenu", and give it a "Positive Button" value of "f5" (no quotes).

Then open up AC's Active Inputs window (Adventure Creator -> Editors -> Active Inputs Editor in the top toolbar), and define a new Active Input. Set the "Input button" to match the one in your Input Manager (OpenSaveMenu), and map it to an ActionList asset.

In this ActionList asset, create a new Menu: Change state Action that turns on your SaveScreenshots menu.

Finally - to make sure the menu will listen to this command - go to the menu in the Menu Manager and set it's "Appear type" to "Manual".

For more on Active Inputs, see the Manual's "Active Inputs" chapter.