Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problems Running while using Direct Movement

Hi everyone! I'm using Unity 2020.3.1 and AC 1.73.3 and I'm having a bit of a rookie problem.

I've been working with direct movement and mouse & keyboard inputs and can't seem to figure out how to get the player to run. Ideally I'd like them to run when shift is held down, but even a toggle run would work. I saw a similar post to this from 2016 that talked about needing to assign the key in the Unity Input Manager, but I can't find a 'Run' input in the manager.

I even tried going through this tutorial ( https://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/remapping-controls-game ) swapping out InteractionA for Run, but it didn't work unfortunately.

Can anyone shed a little light on this problem for me? Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2021

Welcome to the community, @Dead2Knight.

The tutorial you linked to covers a more advanced topic, and shouldn't be necessary for this situation. If you're still using the script in your scene/project, I'd recommend removing it for the moment unless you have another need for it.

AC supports both running when a key is held, and toggling a run when key is pressed. These are handled via the Run and RunToggle inputs respectively.

Your Settings Manager's "Available inputs" panel will list all inputs that are compatible with your given settings - you should find them both listed there. Descriptions for these inputs can be found in the Manual's "Input descriptions" chapter.

To make use of any of the inputs listed, you'll need to define it in Unity's Input Manager, which you can access from the top toolbar and choosing Edit -> Project settings -> Input.

If you create a new input there named Run, give it a Positive Button value of e.g. "left shift" (no quotes), then that should allow for running when pressed.

• Thank you so much Chris, I really appreciate it! That worked perfectly!