Forum rules - please read before posting.

Change order in layer to a new number

edited May 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hi there,
Any action that allows changing the "Order in layer" for a non-character game object (and also any remember component to remember this)?

Thanks

Comments

• You can control such a property through animation, play it back with the Object: Animate Action, and store its state with the Remember Animator component.

• edited May 2021

Oh, do you mean by also creating an animation then? I was thinking of something more along the lines of the "Character:Change rendering".
    Since this isn't all that uncommon and I don't really want to animate anything, it might be worth adding a dedicated action for it?

Either way, thank you for the anim solution though - would've never thought of doing it that way :)

• edited May 2021

Edit: sorry, I thought I had a similar script, but I don't.

• edited July 2022

it might be worth adding a dedicated action for it?

Custom Actions can be plugged in to extend AC whenever necessary - here's a sample one that changes the order of a supplied Renderer.

Name the file ActionSortingOrder.cs, place it in a dedicated folder, and point to it in the Actions Manager. It'll then be available as Object: Change sorting order.

using UnityEngine;

namespace AC
    {

[System.Serializable]
        public class ActionSortingOrder : Action
        {

public Renderer renderer;
            public int newSortingOrder;

public override ActionCategory Category { get { return ActionCategory.Object; }}
            public override string Title { get { return "Change sorting order"; }}

public override float Run ()
            {
                renderer.sortingOrder = newSortingOrder;
                return 0f;
            }

public override void Skip ()
            {
                 Run ();
            }

#if UNITY_EDITOR

public override void ShowGUI ()
            {
                renderer = (Renderer) UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.ObjectField ("Renderer:", renderer, typeof (Renderer), true);
                newSortingOrder = UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.IntField ("New sorting order:", newSortingOrder);
            }

#endif

}

}

• Thanks for the action. Changing the sorting order in runtime isn't so much the problem as having it saved though, why I figured it might be worth to pair it with a Remember component in AC.

• Custom Remember components are possible, too - see this tutorial.

Though, with the animation workflow, and use of the Remember Animator component, no scripting is necessary.

• Ah, cool - I'll write a RememberSorting component then. Thanks for the pointers!

• I'd love to use this script but I'm getting a console error. I've put the script in a folder called Custom Actions, where my other custom actions live.

Suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

(My AC v 1.75.4, Unity 2020.3.20f1)

ActionSortingOrder.cs(16,31): error CS0161: 'ActionSortingOrder.Run()': not all code paths return a value

ActionSortingOrder.cs(30,76): error CS1503: Argument 1: cannot convert from 'string' to 'UnityEngine.Object'

ActionSortingOrder.cs(30,89): error CS1503: Argument 2: cannot convert from 'UnityEngine.Renderer' to 'System.Type'

• It was a typo on my part. Try the updated script above.

• I used this script in my game and it works great. I'm trying to extend it a bit to make it accept an AL parameter. I think I'm almost there and when I launch the AL directly it works great, accepting the default value of the parameter.

The problem is that when I launch the AL from another AL, assigning the parameter (or even without assigning it and using the default values), I get this error:

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable objectToAffect of ChangeSortingOrder has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the objectToAffect variable of the ChangeSortingOrder script in the inspector.

I found this particularly weird since the action works by itself

My edits are mainly taken from the script tutorial 2/3. here's my script:

public GameObject objectToAffect;
        public Renderer renderer;
                protected SortingGroup sortingGroup;
        public int newSortingOrder;
                public int parameterID = -1;
                private int constantID;

public override ActionCategory Category { get { return ActionCategory.Custom; }}
        public override string Title { get { return "Change sorting order"; }}

public override float Run ()
        {
                    renderer = objectToAffect.GetComponent<Renderer>();
                    sortingGroup = renderer.GetComponent<SortingGroup>();
                    if (sortingGroup)
                    {
                        sortingGroup.sortingOrder = newSortingOrder;
                    }
                    renderer.sortingOrder = newSortingOrder;
          return 0f;
        }

public override void Skip ()
        {
             Run ();
        }

#if UNITY_EDITOR

public override void ShowGUI (List<ActionParameter> parameters)
        {
                    parameterID = Action.ChooseParameterGUI("GameObject to affect:", parameters, parameterID, ParameterType.GameObject);
                    if (parameterID >= 0)
                    {
                        constantID = 0;
                        objectToAffect = null;
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        objectToAffect = (GameObject) EditorGUILayout.ObjectField("GameObject to affect:", objectToAffect, typeof (GameObject), true);
                        constantID = FieldToID (objectToAffect, constantID);
                        objectToAffect = IDToField (objectToAffect, constantID, true);
                    }

newSortingOrder = UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.IntField ("New sorting order:", newSortingOrder);
        }

override public void AssignValues (List<ActionParameter> parameters)
                {
                    objectToAffect = AssignFile (parameters, parameterID, constantID, objectToAffect);
                }

#endif

• Your AssignValues function needs to be outside of the UNITY_EDITOR directive.

• Thanks, but unfortunately that wasn't it. I'm still getting the same error. Here's the actual .cs file for good measure

• Not sure if related, but I also noticed that when clicking on the little button besides the action parameters that brings up the assets list, I get this other error (the button works fine though)

GUI Error: Invalid GUILayout state in ActionListEditorWindow view. Verify that all layout Begin/End calls match
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

• My bad, the error was in the AL, not the script :( I had forgot one additional instance of the action that had lost the target when I refactored the script, and it was that one that was blocking the whole thing. The script works as it is!

I still get the console error of my last message, but it's not blocking and doesn't impact any aspect of the action apparently.

• @kloot Could you please share me the RememberSorting script? I really need it and I can't write one by myself, thank you so much! :)

• Hey @Lawfish, here's the RememberSorting script I used for this:

using UnityEngine;

namespace AC
    {
        [RequireComponent(typeof(SpriteRenderer))]
        public class RememberSorting : Remember
        {
            public int previousSortingOrder;

public override string SaveData()
            {
                var renderer = GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();

var data = new SortingData();
                data.sortingOrder = renderer.sortingOrder;
                data.previousSortingOrder = previousSortingOrder;
                data.objectID = constantID;

return Serializer.SaveScriptData<SortingData>(data);
            }

public override void LoadData(string stringData)
            {
                var data = Serializer.LoadScriptData<SortingData>(stringData);
                if (data == null)
                    return;

var renderer = GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
                renderer.sortingOrder = data.sortingOrder;
                previousSortingOrder = data.previousSortingOrder;
            }
        }

[System.Serializable]
        public class SortingData : RememberData
        {