Forum rules - please read before posting.

Playing action list in backwards

Hey All !

I am consider using AC to create my next game and i have some questions.

In My game we will watch a sequences of images like detective "mind boards". Camera move from one image to next , previous images are Black&white , current in color , sometimes zoom in sometimes zoom out. We will not interact with theme only watch like a cut scene ( imagine firs person view of detective looking to the board of information he collect ) .

I wish to accomplish that with using AC actions , moving camera , changing materials , adding some sprites , removing some . whole animation between theme.

We will have 3 button , standard recording icons, Play/Pause , move forward , backwards.

Making action play or pause is simple , move forward faster ( with time actions/nodes for example ) either .

The problem is moving backwards... How can i do that in a simple way ? I want to archive effect of rewinding so we will see move of camera, sprites etc in backwards. I know that i can make some very complicated actions making us jumping to different point of actionlist and play forward from here but I hope so that is a simple way to make that effect.

Hope someone can help figured that out :)

Comments

• edited June 2021

Welcome to the community, @GrzegorzPEdrycz.

It sounds like you're looking not just to reverse the order in which Actions are run, but also reverse the effect that individual Actions have. As Actions themselves are chiefly a means of triggering other internal AC functions, they aren't capable of being individually played in reverse.

I would instead recommend relying on Unity's Timeline for this kind of scenario, as - through scripting - Timeline sequences can be played in reverse.

AC provides custom Timeline tracks to handle the active Camera, and Unity's own Animation tracks could be used to animate individual objects. These tracks can then be combined to run together as a sequence.

Timelines can be played back using AC's Engine: Control Timeline Action. However, to reverse a Timeline, you'll need to rely on some simple scripts. A tutorial on such a script can be found here.

On the AC side of things, what you could use Actions for is the means to trigger the above example's ReversePlay() function - either via a custom Action or use of the Object: Call event / Object: Send message Actions, which can be used to call script functions.

I'd first recommend looking to get the animation playing in Timeline regularly, though, before extending things with the ability to reverse everything. A tutorial covering AC's Timeline integration can be found here.

• Thanks for answer Chris ! I am not able to write a code but I thinking about changing a gameplay a bit to go around the problem. Maybe i dont need reverse playing but I will need option to run Timeline sequences from different point ( not only beginning but from a middle etc ) So I will not get revere timepline but when I wil click we will jump to different point of that sequences ( earlier or later ) . So Can i control timeline with AC actions like that ?

• If not I will just create these clip in few version ( starter from difrent point )So when we will clikc < or > we will start sequence from different point . It will like rewinding

• Setting the Timeline to a specific timecode can be done through custom scripting, but I have posted a custom Action that performs this on the AC wiki:

https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Change_a_Timeline's_current_time

A tutorial on creating and installing custom Actions can be found here.