Forum rules - please read before posting.

Execution of unlinked/deleted nods

Hello Chris,

AC 1.73.8
Unity 2020.3.14f1

Recently I have noticed strange behavior of AC/Unity when some commands (nodes) being executed despite the fact that they have been already unlinked/deleted. I noticed this issue in conjunction with another issue - Unity process RAM size is not clearing after exiting the playmode and stays quite big. After this deleted nodes are still playing on the next launch of the playmode. And this only can be fixed with reopening of Unity. What can it be?

Comments

• By nodes, are you referring to Actions, inside an ActionList?

I'll need to see the issue for myself. Are you able to provide steps to reliably recreate the behaviour, or PM me a scene that demonstrates the problem?

• edited July 2021

Yes, sorry for misunderstanding, I am referring to Actions in ActionLists.

Do you mean send you the scene file alone (1 Mb)? Because whole project is already 15 Gb and will be importing to Unity for half a day. But I am not sure you will be able to recreate this problem with scene file alone without all animations.

UPD. I found how to make visible execution of Actions in playmode. And here what it shows. As you can see on screenshots, unlinked Actions being executed.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sadoiqn7qbog438/Screenshot 2021-07-26 11.16.45.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w1mh95umdw1cuw/Screenshot 2021-07-26 11.16.52.png?dl=0

• And the effects of those Actions are being felt in the scene, I take it.

How are you calling these Actions / ActionList? When I mention recreating the issue, I'm looking to have the steps necessary to have disconnected Actions be run - it doesn't matter what they are, exactly, so if a test scene with some simple Engine: Wait Actions had the same issue, that should be enough.

Disconnected Actions can still be run with an ActionList: Run Action that has Run from start? unchecked. Is it possible that's being used?

If deleted Actions, i.e. those not listed in the ActionList editor, are being run, that's a different story. You're saying this is the case as well?

• And the effects of those Actions are being felt in the scene, I take it.

Yes

How are you calling these Actions / ActionList?

This particular one is OnStart cutscene

so if a test scene with some simple Engine: Wait Actions had the same issue, that should be enough

I can't recreate this with new scene with some Engine:Wait action

Disconnected Actions can still be run with an ActionList: Run Action that has Run from start? unchecked. Is it possible that's being used?

No, I have not used ActionList:Run anywhere in this project

If deleted Actions, i.e. those not listed in the ActionList editor, are being run, that's a different story. You're saying this is the case as well?

I had this issue once, but now I can't recreate it now. Issue with running of unlinked Actions still can be recreated.

Anyway we decided to remake project completely, because it has only several scenes and it is already quite heavy and resources demanding, which will become worse during development. If you want to see this issue with unlinked actions execution - I can propose some kind of Teamwiever or Skype or other.

• edited July 2021

It would be best for me to have time to tinker with the issue myself, rather than try to diagnose from another screen.

Let's give sending over the scene file a go. The Actions themselves should still run, even if the assets they effect are not present. If the issue is coming from the OnStart cutscene, and the Actions highlighted in your screenshot are being run when the scene is started, hopefully that'll be enough to recreate the issue.

• On the resources front: it's a broad topic, but a number of AC-related performance tips can be found in the Manual's "Performance and optimisation" chapter.

• Yes, sure, I will DM you the scene file. But also one thing that I noticed - is that issue occurs only when ActionList Editor is situated in central window (with Scene and Game tabs). But not occurs when ActionList Editor is in the right window (with Inspector and AC Game Editor tabs). I know that this should not make any difference, but it is.

• On the resources front: it's a broad topic, but a number of AC-related performance tips can be found in the Manual's "Performance and optimisation" chapter.

Thank you, I will check it