Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animated Subtitle Background Textures

Hi!
I was wondering if there is a way to make subtitle background textures animated.
I'm new to unity and adventure creator so any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @stepsoversnails.

For anything animated when it comes to menus, you'll want to rely on Unity UI - as you can take advantage of Unity's UI components to give you much more stylistic control.

The default Subtitles menu has a Unity UI counterpart you can make use of by switching its Source property to Unity Ui Prefab. You should then find the Linked prefab field below, giving you a link to the prefab asset you can modify with your intended changes.

For more on working with Unity UI and AC menus, see the Manual's "Unity UI menus" chapter.

As for the actual animation, it does depend on the complexity of the animaton involved. One way would be to make each frame of the animation a sprite, and then create an animation that updates which sprite is shown in a loop. This would be a case of attaching an Animator component, and using Unity's animation tools to create the animation.

If the animation is more complex, you could alternatively make it a video file and play it by with a Video Player component that's attached to your UI prefab's background object.

• Thanks, Chris.
    I'll try these solutions.
    I'm really enjoying Adventure Creator, by the way. Thanks for making it!

• Hi Again!
    Thanks for the help. I got a subtitle Prefab up and running and now my only issue is that my characters text box is right on top of it head. Is there a way to offset the box's distance from the player sprite?

• oh! never mind. after a long day of clicking on everything i figured it out. i had to adjust the pivot point of the UI so it was at the bottom of the subtitle box. thanks again!