Forum rules - please read before posting.

Looping video player and "Wait until finish?" on not looping

Hello, AC forum! I have not posted in a very long time, but I love AC and I hope my question isn't dumb.

I have a looping video player component which is authored with "Play On Awake" not checked and with no video clip specified. Then in OnStart, I have Engine->Play movie clip with the method "Play Movie" and a new clip specified. I do not have "Wait until finish?" checked.

I would expect this OnStart to begin the video looping and to move on, since I didn't check "Wait until finish?"

It DOES behave that way - but I get a console message - "Cannot wait for vid_01 to finish because it is looping!"

This is not a big deal. It behaves just fine. I'm just curious about the message because it seems I didn't ask the script to wait for finish.

Along with that looping video is a hotspot. If you click the hotspot, the interaction does an Engine->Stop Movie on the looping video player component and an Engine->Play Movie on a different video player component. This new one is NOT a looping video.

What I would expect is: if I check "Wait until finish?" on the block with the play of the non-looping video, that it would play the video from the beginning to the end, once it hits the end, it would move on to the next block / next part of the script.

What seems to be happening instead is: if I check "Wait until finish?" it skips the video entirely and instantly moves on. If I uncheck "Wait until finish?" it begins to play the movie correctly but also instantly moves on.

For the moment my work around is unchecking "Wait until finish?" and following that block with an "Engine-> Wait" of X seconds to allow the non looping video to play from beginning until end and then move on.

This work around isn't the world's biggest problem - but I feel like I must be missing something.

I am using Unity 2020.3.15f2 Personal and AC v1.73.8 on a windows PC.

Happy to share more info if it helps.

Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome back, @elfersp.

It DOES behave that way - but I get a console message - "Cannot wait for vid_01 to finish because it is looping!"

This is most likely an erroneous message. Thanks for the alert, I'll look into it.

What I would expect is: if I check "Wait until finish?" on the block with the play of the non-looping video, that it would play the video from the beginning to the end, once it hits the end, it would move on to the next block / next part of the script.

The intended behaviour should be as you expect. You're saying that, when this bug occurs, the video doesn't play at all?

Are you assigning an input button to skip the movie with? If the movie is being inadvertently skipped, that would cause it to cease playback on top of the ActionList continuing on.

• "You're saying that, when this bug occurs, the video doesn't play at all?" - the fork in the road seems to be - if I check "Wait Until finish?" the video does not play at all. As in - if I check wait until finish and I follow that block with an engine->wait of 10 seconds, I'll get 10 seconds of a black screen (the bg color of the main camera.)

Or the other path - If I do not check "wait until finish" then the video will play, but the block will not wait. As in - it begins to play... but in order to see the video, I must have an engine-> wait after it.

With that in mind, it seems like the not checking wait until finish works as expected (the script does play the video, but does not wait, which seems as instructed.)

Checking wait until finish does not seem to work as expected - it does not play the video and does not wait.

I have not assigned a key to skip. I can make sure the script is not set to skippable, if that helps.

I could also try to same video play with fewer other script blocks or something. I wasn't sure if the loopable video was messing up the behavior elsewhere.

• edited August 2021

All right - I double checked and did a simpler thing, just in onstart.

This on start -
    https://pasteboard.co/Kfp83uV.png
    Plays video A and then video B and then the user can do stuff (after the second wait runs out)

This on start -
    https://pasteboard.co/Kfp8AqW.png

Plays video A, does not play video B, does a black screen for 5 seconds, and then the user can do stuff.

The difference is that the first time the second video play does not have "Wait Until Finish?" check, the second time it does. Checking it makes video B not play.

(I hope my images get through!)

Thanks!

• Does this only occur when you play two videos in succession, or is it still present if you remove the first two Actions in this cutscene?

If you have the issue recreated in a fresh scene with just the VideoPlayer and an OnStart cutscene (no other assets/graphics), PM me a .unitypackage of the scene, the MovieClip asset, and your game's Managers and I'll take a look on my end.

• Yes - I believe it happens even with a single video, etc

I will attempt to make a fresh scene and a .unitypackage - Thanks!