Forum rules - please read before posting.

Console warnings appearing related to AC References.asset

edited September 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hello there!

First of all, using AC 1.74.0, and Unity 2021.1.19f1. The game's menus are in Unity UI.

This console warning has been appearing a while now, though it never appeared to affect anything that keeps the game from being playable:
https://imgur.com/a/iT0OQLu
The warnings are distracting though, so wanted to find out how to solve it.

It usually / most noticeably appears when making adjustments to the Menus in the Menu Manager -- for example when clicking the "Create new menu" button and creating a new menu. Or when deleting a menu, etc.

For a while, I didn't have an idea for what may have caused the console warnings to suddenly appear randomly. I had been making the game for a year or so before it ever appeared.
Though now, I may a potential lead on it.
I recently updated AC from AC 1.73.8, to AC 1.74.0.
During every AC update / importing a new AC version, I always only uncheck References.asset according to what the AC manual says.

This time, I noticed 2 yellow warning symbols appeared next to the "Editor" folder and under it the "ACEditorPrefs.asset". These symbols may have appeared before now, just haven't noticed them until now.

Note in these 2 images the popup message that appears when hovering the mouse over the yellow icons appears to have similar verbiage seen in the console errors ("GUID", etc.):
https://imgur.com/a/udrv2pp
Believe the issue may be related to this, though not certain how to go about solving it.
If it's not related, please feel free to share any other ideas to solve the console warning if there are any.

Thank you for any assistance that can be provided! It's much appreciated!

Comments

• Is the Unity version you're using now the only one that's showed this error, or does it go further back?

The issue itself is to do with Unity's asset importer, but both the ACEditorPrefs and References asset files can be replaced if necessary (though back up first, just in case).

Go into /Assets/AdventureCreator/Resources and delete the References asset. Your AC Game Editor window will then prompt you to create a new one - but you may wish to then re-import AC from the Asset Store in order to get the "official" one.

Either way, you'll then need to re-assign your game's Managers (its this References file that keeps track of which Managers are assigned). This can be done just by double-clicking your game's "ManagerPackage" asset file.

• Thank you for that!

It goes further back, though I can't recall which specific Unity version it may have started with.

Deleted the References.asset, re-imported it in the Package Manager, and the console warnings appear to have vanished -- at least so far.

Similarly I deleted the ACEditorPrefs.asset, and AC immediately automatically created a new one (as was shown in the console). I also re-imported the "official" one from the Package Manager anyway.

Everything seems to be fine as far as the console warnings go, although I still see the yellow warning icon on the "Editor" folder -- just not on the "ACEditorPrefs.asset" under it.

https://imgur.com/a/G9wcdSq

As you mentioned, it may come down to Unity's asset imported. Though it just stands out as something that could be important to look into for future reference. If it's important to do so, is there any other advice that can be offered there?

Thank you!

• I know that one, it's a Unity thing. Try Assets->Reimport all (don't remember the exact wording), that should take care of it.
  • Either way, it's not a big deal - the ACEditorPrefs asset isn't relied upon by your game, only some of the Editor windows (and even then only if present). I wouldn't worrry about it.

• Yes, it isn't causing any issues, but seeing it for various assets for months on end used to drive me nuts :)

https://forum.unity.com/threads/importer-defaultimporter-generated-inconsistent-result-for-asset.1022446/#post-7087630

• Thank you both for you assistance!