Forum rules - please read before posting.

Strange Menu Issue

edited September 2021 in Technical Q&A

For some reason, the "Directly navigate" options have vanished from the menu settings:

BEFORE (Taken from an old backup):

AFTER:

I've reinstalled AC but the problem persists. A new project is fine, which is leading me to believe that somewhere some of my settings are perhaps preventing those options from showing?

I can't use the backup project's menu manager either as it's no longer appropriate for the game - a lot has changed.

Any idea why these options are missing?

I'm using AC 1.73.8 - Upgrading to the latest isn't really an option at the moment as a few of the scripts have been modified.

Comments

• Ignore that. I'm SO SORRY. It was on Keyboard and Mouse in settings.

There's still an issue though if you have any idea what's causing it...

I have 2 menus on screen at once - A conversation, which allows gameplay (it acts as navigation i.e. GO TO KITCHEN, GO TO LIVING ROOM etc). There's also an Inventory which is always displayed.

The issue is that when a scene loads, the 1st option in the conversation is highlighted, as it should be, but the inventory is unclickable when set to touch screen, which is what I'm requiring, along with controller support.

The controller works fine - I can select different menus and it works as intended.

The touch screen on the inventory doesn't work though.

It all used to work fine so I'm not sure what's happened.

Any ideas? If you need screenshots of anything then let me know.

• You mention modifying scripts - have you changed anything that could affect menu behaviour?

Are your menus using Unity UI or AC?

Screenshots of all your menus as they appear in-game and in the Menu Manager, please.

• The only scripts modified are the save scripts, so they'd work with Nintendo Switch.

The menus are both UI and can be seen below.

Because the game is an FMV, the conversation menu acts as a navigation tool, as mentioned previously, it is always on screen and the Inventory is always on-screen always, too.

Conversation settings:

Inventory settings:

Both menus as they appear in-game:

• What are the state of your various "Directly-navigate" Menu Manager options now that they're showing again?

It might be a case of having to uncheck these options, together with your "First selected element" settings, when using touch-screen.

• I've tried it set to not Directly-Navigate and to Directly-Navigate, and have tried different combinations too but the menus just won't accept mouse input or touch, only keyboard or controller, whether it's set to any of the 3 input methods in Settings Manager :(

An AC menu works fine though, it just seems to be the Unity UI menus.

• And you've cleared the "Auto-select first visiblae Element?" / "First selected element" options?

Are you using a custom Event System? Try creating a new Event System object, prefabbing it, and assigning it at the top of the Menu Manager.

Otherwise, check that the UI canvas itself is set to be interactive.

• Are you saying that this issue only occurs when both menus are on?

• The issue occurs if any of those 2 UI menus are on. Interestingly, the Unity UI menu on the main opening screen (New Game, Resume etc) works perfectly and I can tap/click on it etc.

I've cleared auto-select first visible element, yes.

I'm not using any Event System prefabs.

• Try assigning an Event System prefab, but otherwise my guess would be that something about the UI itself is preventing selection.

• That was my thought too, but I even copied the prefab from a backup project where it did work and the problem still persists in this new project.

What's the importance of an Event System because doesn't that just tell the system to select an element, essentially?

• That's right. But AC has its own default Event System, so by assigning a new one we can rule it that being the cause.

• I've now added an Event System and also literally just created a basic Inventory based upon your tutorial, with no differences and it still won't work. I'm completely baffled :(

• Is it only the InventoryBox element that's not responding?

Try creating a Button element in the Menu, as well as an associated Button component in the UI prefab, and have it run an ActionList that calls e.g. the ActionList: Comment Action to see if that responds.

• edited September 2021

I've just tried that (created the button on its own, outside of the InventoryBox) and it's simply not registering at all. No comment in the Console or anything - the button doesn't even respond (no colour change etc).

I'm at a loss :/

• edited September 2021

Outside of the InventoryBox as in a new Canvas?

Is it interactable in the Editor, or is this only when testing a Build?

• Outside of it as in not a child of the 'Grids' in the Unity UI.

It's interactable, yes. It all works fine with keyboard but mouse/touch interactions don't work at all.

• edited September 2021

I mean: is it working with the mouse in the Editor, and only an issue in builds?

Make sure no other Menu is active while testing.

• edited September 2021

The issue occurs in both editor and builds.

Right, I've just disabled the conversation menu and the inventory now works. As soon as the conversation menu is present, mouse/touch input is disabled again for some reason.

• Does any part of your Conversation menu overlap the boundary of the Inventory menu, and where does it appear in the Menu Manager's stacking order relative to Inventory?

• All canvases on all menus are full-screen 1920x1080. Could this be the issue?

I've changed the stacking orders so the inventory is at the top and conversation at the bottom but it makes no difference.