Forum rules - please read before posting.

Why does the sorting layer default have infinite - layers, but only 5 positive?

I cannot figure out how to add more layers to the sorting layer, I've been stuck building animation sequences with only 0-5 layers to work with (NOT ENOUGH for several scenes). Then I just discovered that for some bizarre reason it has infinite negative layers... WHY? I literally can set a sprite sort layer to -9999 and it still displays. But I enter 6 and it disappears. I've dug through the manual and searched this forum for several hours now... No dice. I don't want to create a new sorting system I just want the default to go positive rather than negative. The idea of going through every scene and reordering the sorting numbers feels like absolute tediousness...

Is this how it's supposed to work? Is there a way to change it easily? Or am I going to have to start working my way through over 40 scenes?

Thanks,
William

Comments

• What are your AC and Unity versions, and can you share screenshots to illustrate your point? I'm not clear if you're referring to sorting layers in Unity's Sprite Renderer component, or AC's Sorting Map component.

There is also a difference between Sorting Layer (a string) and an Order In Layer (an integer). Are you referring to the latter? It may sound pedantic to ask, but with an issue like this it's necessary to be sure.

• Ahh...

Unity 2019.3.8f1 [Switch edition] (currently doing a PC build, I just built it in this because I know it will be easier to port over the Switch when the time comes, the version of AC has not been modified in any way, unlike my port of Prologue, because the changes I make to get it to port breaks the ability to PC build, so I have to keep them in 2 separate build branches lol.)

Adventure Creator 1.70.4

I just realized I'm talking about the Unity Sprite Renderer... Since the way the game works, much like the previous title, I don't really make sure of the sorting layer system for people walking around, etc... Mmm...

https://ibb.co/WpfcfPY

So this might be a Unity issue rather than an AC issue... If so my bad and I wasted a ton of time XD

• Yes, I'm afraid it's not anything to do with AC.