Forum rules - please read before posting.

Conversation Camera stop not working for me

Conversation Camera stop node in an actionlist does not appear to have any effect for me. The camera remains in the conversation camera position. I had assumed it was supposed to switch back to the original game camera. Am I missing something in the setup? What is the Conversation Camera stop node supposed to do? Thanks.

Comments

• Unchecking "extend cutscenes to fit min shot duration" seemed to solve my issue. Although min shot duration was only set to 3 and shot never ended after 3 seconds so I'm not sure how min shot duration works.

Also what needs to be done to get the auto head turns to work? I have both character neck bones defined. Is there something else required?

• Checking the "Use IK for head-turning" in the character's inspector and enabling "IK Pass" in the character's animator base layer got the head turns working for me. Thanks.

• If Extend cutscenes to fit min shot duration? is checked, then another ActionList will be generated to extend the cutscene when the Camera: Conversation Action's "Stop" command is run.

If you want to switch back instantly with this option still checked, you can use a regular Camera: Switch Action.

• What is supposed to happen after the cutscene is extended? What if your scene was already longer than the min shot duration?

• It should end as normal, in that case.

There may be a glitch here. Try this replacement for the package's ConversationCamera script:

https://pasteall.org/GYKA

• edited October 2021

Replacement seems to work better-- shot now ends if extend cutscenes to fit min shot duration is checked.

What is the purpose of Cut delay: Min: Max: Changing the values doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect.

Finally, what are the Animated frequency and Max. animation duration doing? What setup is required?

Sorry for all the questions. But hopefully others will benefit from your answers besides me.

FYI-- I altered the action and conversation scripts a little to enable me to choose the type of camera angle from a drop down (rather than have the script choose a random angle) in the action node.

• What is the purpose of Cut delay: Min: Max: Changing the values doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect.

This field affects how long it takes to cut to another character.

Results will vary because a value will be taken at random between the min/max values. These are also bound by the Min shot duration (s) field, so they'll need to be higher than this value to take effect.

Finally, what are the Animated frequency and Max. animation duration doing? What setup is required

"Animated frequence" refers to how frequently animated shots are used - with 1 being every shot and 0 being no shot.

What animation style is used is dependent on a few factors, and can also be random. To stop an animation lasting so long that it eventually loses focus of the characters, the "Max. animation duration" field is used to stop animation if the given time is exceeded.

• Having an issue when using the conversation camera with the NPC sometimes turning head away from Player instead of facing player. It seems to have something to do with how close the Player is to the NPC. For example, if the Player is close to the left side of the NPC, the NPC will turn his head to the right. But if I move the Player further to the left of the NPC at some point the NPC will turn properly to the left. What determines where the NPC turns his head? Any thoughts how to fix this?

• Does the camera: conversation start action have to be connected to a dialogue: play speech action to change camera angles? Because when I connect it to a dialogue: play conversation the camera does not change angles at all.

• edited October 2021

Is there a way to stop the conversation camera from automatically switching to different angles during a sequence of dialogues and conversations? How are the angles chosen? Is it based on who is speaking or is it random? Is there a way stop it from jump cutting to same angle if the first shot has slightly animated?

• The animated frequency seems to be reversed with 1 being no animation and 0 being on every shot. At least it seems that way to me.

• But if I move the Player further to the left of the NPC at some point the NPC will turn properly to the left. What determines where the NPC turns his head?

The animated frequency seems to be reversed with 1 being no animation and 0 being on every shot. At least it seems that way to me.

These are bugs with the package - thanks for the report.

I've updated the package with the following changes:

• Fixed characters turning their head to the wrong direction
    • Reversed the animation frequency effect
    • The Action now requires you to set the exact Conversation Camera you want to use inside it, so that multiple can exist in the scene

If you're using IK for head-turning, you can further control their IK by tweaking the head/body/eye influence sliders in the Player/NPC components.

Does the camera: conversation start action have to be connected to a dialogue: play speech action to change camera angles?

Once the Camera: Conversation Action has been used with the "Play" command, it will then run until another is used with the "Stop" command. You don't need to run multiple instances of this Action.

It will, however, listen for character speech before cutting the camera.

Is there a way to stop the conversation camera from automatically switching to different angles during a sequence of dialogues and conversations? How are the angles chosen? Is it based on who is speaking or is it random? Is there a way stop it from jump cutting to same angle if the first shot has slightly animated?

Angles are based on the speaking character. I'm not clear on your other questions here, though. Are you looking to have lock the camera during a certain period? Please eleborate with screenshots if you can.

Do bear in mind that though, that as this is a downloadable template package, it's intended to be modified to suit your needs. You can duplicate the two scripts involved and tweak them to your liking.

• edited October 2021

First let me say the conversation camera is a very useful action and IMHO should be a part of the main AC asset. But I completely understand you may be too busy to make any more modifications.

But in case your feeling inspired one day, here are two more features I would like:

1) I would like the ability to choose the first camera angle in a conversation from a drop down list (center, closeup, over the shoulder, reverse and random angle).

2) I would like the random selection logic to never choose the same camera angle as the previous (current) camera angle as this causes a slight jump cut and looks like a glitch. It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen.

Thanks so much for your great support. And feel free to tell me to go away or slow down if my daily questions start to get on your nerves.

Best wishes, Jay

• Also sometimes the camera cut takes about a second or so to happen during a conversation even when the min and max delay are set to 0. Is there a way to make the change of angle happen instantly for each new dialogue?

• Those are some good suggestions, thank you. I will give them some thought.

Is there a way to make the change of angle happen instantly for each new dialogue?

It should be instant if the Min shot duration (s) is also zero. Is this the case?

• Yes, setting the min shot duration to 0 did the trick! Thanks.

• I've updated the package with the ability to specify the first shot it makes, but I can't recreate any issue regarding the same angle being used twice in a row. Can you elaborate on this?

• Wow, thank you! The same angle issue was occurring infrequently during a series of dialogues under the same conversation. I thought it might have been to 2 center angles in a row. But one time I remember seeing the second center angle animate in the opposite direction. So maybe it was actually a “different” reverse center angle? Nevertheless it looked like a jump cut. I will test your new updated package and see if I can further clarify.