Forum rules - please read before posting.

Tutorials on Objectives, Crafting, Documents and Containers

I see there is some info in the manual but..are there any tutorials (video or text) that discuss:

1) Objectives
2) Crafting
3) Documents
4) Containers

Thanks.

Comments

• Does the description field in the objective states have a purpose? Can it be displayed by the default objective UI?

• I'll look into providing some tutorials, but you're welcome to ask any questions related to them here.

Does the description field in the objective states have a purpose? Can it be displayed by the default objective UI?

Objective descriptions can be shown via a Label element with its Label type field set to Objective Description. The default Objectives menu's SelectedDescription element is configured to display this in the lower-left corner.

• There appear to be additional description boxes attached to the states like start and completed. What are these state descriptions for? Thanks.

• What does the document Wait until close do? It seems to just lock up the gameplay and the buttons on the document do not work.

• edited October 2021

Does container open node always have to be the last node in an actionlist? I don't see an after running option on the bottom of the node.

• The container open in set element isn't working for me. I have set the Menu name to Container and the InventoryBox name to ContainerItems. What else needs to be done? If the open in set element is unchecked then container ui opens as expected.

• I play a chest open animation then open the chest container UI. I would like to play a chest close animation after closing the chest container UI. How do I call an actionlist upon closing the container UI?

• There appear to be additional description boxes attached to the states like start and completed. What are these state descriptions for?

These can be displayed with a Label element that has a Label type of Selected Objective, and an Objective text of State Description.

What does the document Wait until close do? It seems to just lock up the gameplay and the buttons on the document do not work.

It will cause the Action (and ActionList it's a part of) to continue running while the Document menu is open. To prevent this from blocking gameplay, you will need to set the ActionList's When running property to Run In Background.

Does container open node always have to be the last node in an actionlist? I don't see an after running option on the bottom of the node.

It's possible to allow for other Actions to run afterwards if Affect active container? is unchecked, and Open in set element? is checked. You will, however, need to specify the name of the Menu and InventoryBox to display.

The container open in set element isn't working for me. I have set the Menu name to Container and the InventoryBox name to ContainerItems. What else needs to be done?

If Open in set element is checked, the Container menu will not be opened automatically - you'll have to do this separately with Menu: Change state Action. You'll also have to change your Container menu's Appear type to something other than On Container, as this only responds to Containers opened without assigning a set element.

I play a chest open animation then open the chest container UI. I would like to play a chest close animation after closing the chest container UI. How do I call an actionlist upon closing the container UI?

You can assign an ActionList asset in either the Menu's ActionList when turn off property, or the CloseButton element's ActionList to run property after setting its Click type to Run ActionList - though you'll need to add an additional Menu: Change state Action to turn off the Menu if so.

This ActionList can include an Object: Animate Action to update your chest animation, but since it's an asset referencing a scene object (and you presumably have more than one chest in your game), you'll need to rely on a GameObject parameter to override which Animator is affected. After setting up your Object: Animate Action, define a new GameObject parameter at the top of the ActionList and use it to override the Action's Animator field.

Then, in the ActionList that opens the Container, use the ActionList: Set parameter Action to update this asset's GameObject parameter with the chest you wish to animate when the Container is closed.

A tutorial on ActionList parameters can be found here.

• Very helpful. Thanks so much.

• I am opening a container UI after animating a chest opening and playing a sound effect. I have set the container menu to pause game when enabled. This causes the sound effect to abruptly cut off when the menu opens and then finish playing when the menu closes. I would like the sound to finish playing while the menu in open. I tried running the sound in parallel but it still cuts off sound. Is there an easy solution?

• If you're using a Sound component to play the audio from, you can check Play while game paused? to have audio playback continue while the menu is open.

• Is there a way to enable and disable crafting recipes so that for example you need to pick up a scroll to unlock the ability to craft a potion? And if you haven’t gotten the scroll yet you can’t craft the potion even if you have the ingredients?

• If you uncheck Result is automatic? in the Crafting menu's "Output" element, then crafting is performed by manually running an Inventory: Crafting Action.

You can precede this with an Inventory: Check Action to ensure this only runs when the Player is carrying a specific item.