Forum rules - please read before posting.

3d character animation glitch when camera follows

Hey,

I'm on AC 1.73.2 with Unity 2020.3.16f1.

My Camera is Affected by Target X, where the target is the player. The player can only move left and right along X.

The camera movement is nice and smooth but the actual character animation glitches. The character flickers, as if the transform is messed up somehow. This glitch disappears as soon as I deactivate camera targeting.

I can keep the camera tracking and get rid of the issue by making the Player's RigidBody Is Kinematic but then collision detection stops functioning, so, not a great solution, for obvious reasons...

Oddly enough, if I pause the game in unity, and check the rigidbody as Is Kinematic, then immediately uncheck it and unpause the game, the issue is gone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. :smile:

t

Comments

• Oddly enough, if I pause the game in unity, and check the rigidbody as Is Kinematic, then immediately uncheck it and unpause the game, the issue is gone.

Given that, it may be Unity-related. What if you check/uncheck this while not paused?

The camera motion shouldn't affect the positioning of the character. Does your Player's Rigidbody make use of Interpolation? Try enabling this if not.

It's worth noting that you can replace a character's Rigidbody and Capsule Collider with a Character Controller component, which will still give you collision / trigger detection.

• Using a character controller component solved the problem! No more glitches in the character! I had to keep the rigidbody since I use hotspot vicinity detection but with some messing around I got it all working. Big thanks!

I am experiencing some random lags in the camera movement as well but I'm guessing this may simply be performance related, though my FPS is nice and high so it doesn't really justify the choppiness. I'll try and pinpoint the origin of this chopping behavior...

Thanks again!

• I had to keep the rigidbody since I use hotspot vicinity detection but with some messing around I got it all working.

FWIW, the Rigidbody can be moved to the Hotspot Detector and should still work if "Is Kinematic" is checked.

I am experiencing some random lags in the camera movement as well but I'm guessing this may simply be performance related

Does this occur only in the Editor, or builds as well? v1.73.3 addressed some performance issues in the Editor.

• ok cool. :smile:

You're right, the camera lag only occurs in the editor. runs smooth in the final build, so not a real issue.