Forum rules - please read before posting.

Remember PlayMaker FSMs vs DataBox-AC Integration

Hi there!

Intro:
I was looking around to see the better options to handle all my custom data that will be quite nice to save and is not handled via AC or shouldn't due to various difficulties (Like as is easier to work with Playmaker Prefabs and instances that could be used for Procedurally generated stuff, etc, just complex stuff to handle with AC).
PS: Of course Variable Components are a very good thing since they were introduced, but I have a lot of Data that play changing procedurally generated World Canvases (computer screens) that of course I can't handle thru AC menus... And Well, I'm just quite used to do all this stuff with playmaker.

I've not written many Remember Scripts yet myself (just a Remember Tag once). Sometimes I started writting some now and then and ended quite lost and finally went another way.

Question
I have a very general question (or two questions).

What Should be EASIER TO CODE?:

A) Remember FSM scripts.

I'm guessing that every specific type of "playmaker data object holder" will need its specific remember FSM script, like,
"Remember Door FSM": Save Bool Connected, Save Bool Locked, Save Bool Open.
"Remember Room FSM": Save OxygenValuesInt, Save RadiationValuesInt....

And that everytime I change how many variables I need to save on those data objects, I'll have to modify the remember script until the system is finished.

Am I correct?

B ) Plug another save system (Like Databox, that I own but I've not used yet) that already is integrated with Playmaker for remember their variables, and integrate that with AC to just call to save or load the databox data when Saving and Loading AC.
I understand most people will not use Databox to know if the specific integration is possible/easier, but There is a lot of saving system arounds forever (EasySave2 etc). Even AC-Dialogue system integration with their own save systems.... So I expect people may have integrated paralel saving systems with AC.

So.... is there any problems I should expect from this approach inside how AC saving system works in order to integrate with other systems (Due to how exactly Save and Load is managed via AC, by default scripts, or with minor modications)?

So after the two general questions, for a bad C# coder... what should be easier to code?

And BTW... If anyone has experience coding Remember Playmaker scripts and can share a light...

Comments

• To save custom data in the most correct way, you'll want to embed your data inside AC's save file itself. The alternative would be to have a separate custom save file for each of AC's, which is possible but not the cleanest approach.

Custom save data can be embedded within the save file in two ways: either as a String variable (see this tutorial), or in a custom Remember component (see this tutorial).

Beyond this, where the data comes from is more down to personal choice. Of the two approaches you describe, I'd say the first would be easier - since you're otherwise having to link three assets together via custom script.

If you're looking to save FSM variables, though, it's worth noting that they can be linked to AC's Component variables, which get saved with the presence of a Remember Variables component.

• I understand, I'll be better of making the Remember FSMs.

In the approach of mixing FSM variables and Linked Variable Components, that I used some times, I've found problems in the past and I don't know if was because not understanding them well, or because there were some... ways to set variables that weren't transmited both directions, or in one direction. I cannot remember now.

Before writting a line of code for sure I'm going to test that again extensively, so if I found a problem I'll get back.