Forum rules - please read before posting.

problems with three subtitles - also with timeline

I'm having problems controlling subtitles. My goal is to have player speech to always be on the bottom. So I have a subtitle menu for blocking speech - except Narrator, to be shown on bottom. One subtitle menu for background speech limited for Player only, for bottom. And one subtitle menu for NPCs for their background speech to show it on top of them.

What happens is that when there are NPCs chatting with each other and player click hotspots to enable player background speech, the NPC speech quite often cancels Player speech or NPC speech is shown on bottom.

Also in timeline the NPC speeches are not shown on bottom, where I would expect them to be.

Comments

• I'm using U2020.3.26f1and AC1.74.5

• What is the result of checking Duplicate for each line? in each of your Subtitle menus?

Also in timeline the NPC speeches are not shown on bottom, where I would expect them to be.

Where are they shown, if at all? Non-player speech Timeline tracks rely on Constant ID values to connect the character at runtime - do your NPCs have Constant ID components recorded in the Track Inspector?

• edited January 2022

Duplicate seems to work. I'm no longer getting weird results.

• NPC subtitles in Timelines, when running them manually for fine tuning when game is on, also goes as background speech and in this case On top. But the speech is blocking - and On bottom - when Timeline is run by AL. This is in my opinion also a recent thing.

• edited January 2022

AC must be placed in "cutscene" mode for speech to block gameplay - either through script, or the use of an ActionList. Running a Timeline manually will not cause speech to block gameplay.