Forum rules - please read before posting.

Change background (different size) and Camera/Switch

Hi everybody,
AC 1.74.5 and Unity LTS 2020.3.25f1.

I have this situation (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xszyRZP6EGxA8apNNEfWHz6gPKVUOZxP/view?usp=sharing): a first background 1920x1080 and a second one 7200x2160. When I click on a hotspot (near the right corner of the room01) I have to change the background from the first one to the second one. Using the visibility it's very easy, but I have a little issue with the camera. The second one has a vertical and a horizontal scroll, while the first one is "fixed". When I change the background I change also the camera (Camera/Switch). If I change camera with "Target is Player" checked (in the second camera) I see the camera scrolls horizontally and the player goes to the center (not correct in this case) . If "Target is Player" is unchecked the change background is correct (the player remains in the same position), but then I can't scroll on the new background. Is there a way to make this type of camera transition (keeping unchanged the position of the player (camera scroll) but with the player can move using scroll in the second camera) ?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• As this a visual/animation problem that's difficult to convey through words, a video or gif would be helpful to explain things if you can share one.

I'm assuming the camera in question is a GameCamer2D?

For the camera to scroll automatically, however, a Target for it is necessary. If the Player is appearing in the centre, you can try raising the Track freedom value in the camera's Inspector so that off-centre positions are allowed.

The camera's Target doesn't necessarily have to be the Player, however. If you uncheck Target is Player?, you can assign a different Transform. This could be a child object of the Player that's offset in such a way that causes the camera to appear correct when transitioned to, but still scrolls when the player moves.

• Hello Chris, thank you. Here two short clips to illustrate the issue:

I tried with "Track freedom" but then the player is too far left or right. I tried with a object in scene but, obviously, I haven't scroll. I haven't understand how to put a target, child of my player: my player is a prefab and I can't to put a child of it in the Target field.

Thank you very much.

• I confirm it's a GameCamera2d.

• my player is a prefab and I can't to put a child of it in the Target field.

You can place it in the scene, and use a custom script to attach it to the Player as they spawn in.

A custom script will be necessary, in any case, to position the target in the centre of the screen as the camera switches:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class CentreCameraTarget : MonoBehaviour
    {

public _Camera bigCamera;

private void OnEnable ()
        {
            bigCamera.targetIsPlayer = false;
            bigCamera.target = transform;

EventManager.OnSetPlayer += OnSetPlayer;
            EventManager.OnSwitchCamera += OnSwitchCamera;
        }

private void OnDisable ()
        {
            EventManager.OnSwitchCamera -= OnSwitchCamera;
            EventManager.OnSetPlayer -= OnSetPlayer;
        }

private void OnSetPlayer (Player player)
        {
            transform.SetParent (player.spriteChild.transform);
        }

private void OnSwitchCamera (_Camera fromCamera, _Camera toCamera, float transitionTime)
        {
            if (toCamera == bigCamera)
            {
                transform.position = fromCamera.Camera.ViewportToWorldPoint (new Vector3 (0.5f, 0.5f, 1f));
            }
        }

}