Forum rules - please read before posting.

Scrolling vertically or horizontally with a custom animation

Hi everybody,
AC 1.74.5 and Unity LTS 2020.3.25f1 in 2d.

I have a doubt about how scrolling works. For example I have my character has to climb a rope (or jumping an obstacle): so he is in static idle, then I call a custom animation to climb the rope. When he has climbed the rope he will be in another position, newly in static idle. How does scroll works? Does it recognize the "movement" with custom animation (in reality it is not a real shift) or have I to do something else to have a fluid scroll?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• I'm not entirely following your meaning with "scroll" - are you referring to updating a character's position? And is this for a 2D game?

If you want to move a character in a fixed way - i.e. up a rope - you have two options:

1. Animate the sprite child vertically, and then "snap" is back to a local position of 0,0,0, and teleport the character's root at the same to make the translation appear seamless
    2. Leave the sprite child's position alone and only move the character's root.

Option 1) may seem easier, because you're only dealing with the sprite child during the effect. However, it can be difficult to get a seamless transition, because it can take a frame for the animation update to kick in - which can cause the sprite to be offset for a moment.

If you were only updating the positions through script, that wouldn't be an issue, however.

I'd recommend trying option 2. You can either use e.g. a Character: Move to point or Object: Transform Action to move the root object, or use Timeline to move the character in an Animation Track.

You will have to animate the sprite separately with a climbing animation, but if you use the Character: Animate Action to update their "standard" walk animation to a climbing one, it could also be automated.