Forum rules - please read before posting.

Keep cursor influence active during Dialogue System conversation

edited January 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hi Chris,

I am using AC together with Dialogue System for Unity, and I am not sure where the best place to post this question is, so I'll start here:

I have a scene where a player peeks through a hole and I am using AC camera's "cursor influence" feature for that. I also want to trigger a DS conversation, but if I do that, the cursor influence no longer works. Is there a way to achieve that?

The AC Bridge component is currently set to "Take Camera Control: If Player Involved". I've tried to override this in the ActionList triggering the dialogue, but neither "Never" nor "Always" made any difference.

Thanks!

Comments

• Enable AC's Status box via the bottom of the Settings Manager - what is it showing at the time this occurs?

• Hi Chris,

it says:

Current game state: Cutscene

Current player: Player
    Current camera: MyPeekholeCamera

ActionLists running:
    Interaction: UsePeekhole --- that's the one triggering the camera change and dialogue

ActionList assets running:
    (some ActionLists causing NPCs to roam through the building)

Gameplay is blocked

I assume you're asking because of the game state. I am aware I can switch the ActionList's "When running" property from "Pause Gameplay" to "Run in background" and that enables the camera's behaviour. But it also enables hotspots (like the visible NPCs having the conversation) or inventory, which I don't want here because it's still, in terms of gameplay, a cutscene. I am also aware I could disable the inventory menu, but I have no idea regarding the hotspots - limiting the NPC hotspots to a certain camera is not possible because the NPCs are roaming through the scene.

Thanks for your help!

• Hi Chris,

for the time being, I have changed the ActionList to "run in background", locked/disabled the relevant menus and manually disabled every hotspot which is visible in the peekhole camera view. I wanted to avoid that, but there aren't too many, so it's okay.

If there's a more elegant way, I'd love to know!

Thanks!

• If MyPeekholeCamera is the correct camera, you can check Follow during cutscenes? inside its Inspector's "Cursor influence" panel to have it react to the cursor's position while gameplay is blocked.

This option was provided in v1.74.3, so if it's not listed you'll need to update your AC version.