Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player switching & multiple sorting maps

Hi all,
I have a scene with stairs and other perspective elements that brings the needs of switching SortingMaps using triggers. E.g. when the player walk on the stairs. This all works fine for the active player.

My game supports player switching, so you can leave a player "inactive" somewhere in the scene, and start walking around with the other one.
If the active player then "triggers" a SortingMap switch the "inactive" players are affected as well, leading to issues because they are rendered with a sorting map, that should not be active on this position in the scene. (Order in layer and scale wrong).

So I would like to constrain the SortingMap (Character->Change rendering->SortingMap) for the "inactive" players when the player is switched.

Is there a way to "lock" the players sorting map to the current one?
In the Character->Change rendering->SortingMap I have to specify the SortingMap by selecting one, but this is dynamic depending on the "inactive" players current position in the scene.

Any Idea?
If I could make a wish, the dropdown would have a "lock to current" option.

Best regards,
Kai

Comments

• If the active player then "triggers" a SortingMap switch the "inactive" players are affected as well, leading to issues because they are rendered with a sorting map, that should not be active on this position in the scene. (Order in layer and scale wrong).

I'll need more details on this to understand and recreate the issue exactly.

Are inactive Players being affected at the time the Trigger runs, or are they affected when made active afterwards?

Are multiple Player characters in the scene at the same time, or does switching Player cause the new one to take the old one's place?

As this is a visual issue, please share screenshots showing the issue as well as the Actions involved. What are your AC and Unity versions, also?

• Thank you Chris. You answer pointed me to the right solution!
    I changed the triggers to switch the SortingMap only for the active player instead of the whole scene. Now everything is working as expected.