Forum rules - please read before posting.

Punching a hole in a mesh collider, used as an AC nav mesh

Hi all,

An interesting title for hopefully a simple subject.

I prefer to use the Mesh collider pathfinding method in point and click mode, and create the meshes with Probuilder's excellent "new poly shape" tool. This allows me to edit the mesh in unity and tweak it whilst developing a scene. (amongst other benefits like swapping at runtime)

The issue I've had is being able to have a walkable area with a hole in it. Probuilder cant do this with new poly shapes, and I've tried to use AC's collision cubes on the default layer, but they don't work either. (I seem to remember these are just for unity navmesh baking)

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop my player from walking into this stone plinth and have the walkable area avoid it entirely? Currently the player just walks straight through it with no collisions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, screenshot below shows pink walkable mesh collider:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kfCOOtCuPtHMfA4vKxEf1u2pcWrIWi-O/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• With AC's "Mesh Collider" pathfinding mode, the mesh needs to be supplied "as-is", so any holes will need to be a feature of the original mesh.

You can export the mesh into separate modelling software such as Blender, make the necessary adjustments, and re-import it back into Unity.

• As always, a simple solution, thanks Chris.

I've just done a roundtrip:

• Out as STL, using probuilder export
    • Import into sketchup pro, punch a hole
    • export as FBX,
    • Re-import to unity, set read/write on import
    • Set back up as the walkable mesh

then probuilderize so i can still tweak the edges in unity when needed.

Thanks for the quick answer!