Forum rules - please read before posting.

NavMesh with multiple polygon colliders - pathfinding not working

edited March 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hi all,

I have a NavMesh that has two seperated areas. Therefore it has 2 Polygon Colliders attached.

The Scene Layout looks like this:

1. is the first collider in the inspector.
  2. is the second collieder in the inspector.
  3. If the player is in the 2. collider area, he only moves towards the first one once and then just moves up and down the border of the collider, even when I click in the middle of the area.

If I change the order of the colliders in the inspector (move the 2. one up) it works as expected in this area. But if the player is in the 1. area he just moves to the right border of the area and moves up and down.

It's really strange. I have a scene in my game with two colliders that works without issues. And I can't see any difference to this one.
Any idea what's wrong?

AC Version: v1.73.2
Unity Version: 2020.3.14f1

Thanks
KaiB

Comments

• By "middle of the area", you mean the centre of NavMesh 2 - not the area of the screen?

I can't recreate such an issue on my end.

In a backup / duplicate project, import the latest release - does the issue still occur? If so, share your Settings Manager's "Movement settings" panel.

• edited March 2022

By "middle of the area", you mean the centre of NavMesh 2 - not the area of the screen? - yes. Anywhere in NavMesh2, player only walks to the side, tries to get to the other NavMesh.
    If I move NavMesh 1 up (higher 'y' in the scene) the player goes to the upper left corner.
    But, adding a Marker in the middle of NavMesh 2 and sending the player via Actionlist works fine. (Pathfinding can be seen / blue line, dots,...)

Ok, I will try with the latest release and come back with the results.

• I have updated AC to 1.75.0
    The problem still persists.

Here's the movement settings:

(Btw. Seems the update screwed up the line hight of the settings.)

It tried to deactivate the "super accurate" settings, but it does not fix it.

• edited March 2022

To be 100% sure that I do not have any side-effects / interference I did now the following:
    1. Updated unity to 2020.3.30f1
    2. updated AC to 1.75.0
    3. Created blank new project with the game wizard.
    4. Created a new player with the char wizard.
    5. set up the scene layout as shown above.

The problem is still fully reproducible on my side.

• edited March 2022

Can you PM me the scene file?

• Recreated, thanks for the details.

It's an issue with the "NavMesh search direction" field in the Settings Manager - specifically the "Radially Outwards From Cursor" option.

I shall address this for the next update, but you can get around it in the meantime by setting this to "Straight Down From Cursor".

• Thank you Chris for having a deeper look into it. I will change the setting accordingly.

Any side effects to expect when changing it to "Straight Down From Cursor" that I should be aware of?

• No side-effects, but the behaviour will change.

It's only temporary though while I fix the issue.