Forum rules - please read before posting.

Interactive Boundaries and Third Person Advanced Camera Issue

Hey! I have a scene that's using interactive boundaries for hotspots so they only become usable when the player is in a certain area. I'm using the third person advanced camera with drag controls. The issue is that when the player is outside the interactive boundaries, but the mouse cursor is over the hotspot, the drag input does not work so the camera doesn't spin. Also if i try to click somewhere so the player moves there, it does not work. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the interactive boundaries system or a bug?

If the player is inside of the interactive boundary it works as expected. Hotspots without interactive boundaries do not have this issue.

Here is how the scene is set up: https://i.imgur.com/WmZfoUQ.png
Here is a gameplay video showing the issue:

There's a few variables in the debug console on the right where you can see the state of some of AC's variables. I have looked a little bit into this issue and i believe (could be wrong though!) it is caused by the drag state variable. In the advanced 3rd person camera script the frame input property looks for the drag state to be set to camera, but when dragging over the hotspot this variable is set to none.

What would be the best way to fix this issue? I'm thinking i could remove the drag state check but that might break other systems i'm not aware of? Thanks! :)

Comments

• edited March 2022

The "Advanced Third Person Camera" package was recently deprecated, with its code replacing AC's built-in "GameCamera Third Person" as the default third-person camera type - which are you using, and what is your AC version?

In a backup/duplicate project, try the latest release and "built-in" third-person camera to check if it's an issue. If so, share screenshots of your Settings Manager so that I can attempt a recreation on my end.

• Never mind sharing screenshots - I've recreated the issue, thanks for the details.

This'll need an update to AC, but will be addressed in the next release.

• Sorry for the late reply Chris, I'm currently on AC 1.72.3. Indeed I'm using the old stand alone package, not the latest one that's already integrated. Glad to hear that you could recreate this, i'll be looking out for the next release.

Thanks! :)

• Hey Chris!

I just updated to the latest adventure creator version today and i tested the fix with the new offical third camera script and interactive boundaries work great now!

However I found another issue which seems to be the same thing but is happening under different circumstances. After I interact with a hotspot and while the actionlist is still running i cannot move the camera if i click & drag inside of the hotspot area in the screen. It works everywhere else in the screen.

In this example i have an actionlist that's running a dialogue, which has "wait until finish?" enabled so the actionlist nodes that are after the dialogue only run when the dialogue is finished. This keeps the actionlist running and provokes this issue where i can't move the camera around if my pointer is over the hotspot. I found out that if i manually disable the hotspot before doing anything in the actionlist by using the hotspot:disable action, this issue does not happen.So basically hotspots that have the "Hotspot state:OFF" in the inspector while playing do not suffer this issue, only those that are disabled "behind the scenes" while an actionlist is running.

• Thanks for the report - I'll look into this.

• I'm afraid I cannot recreate this issue, @artofbeni.

Are you able to provide a fresh scene that demonstrates this with simple cubes for graphics? If so, PM me a .unitypackage that contains both the scene and your Managers, and I'll be take a look.

• Hey Chris!

I have dropped you a PM with files and info on how to reproduce this on a fresh new project with only AC imported. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!