Forum rules - please read before posting.

UnityUI - Conversation Text doesn´t show up

Hi,

i wanted to switch my conversations menu to "UnityUI Prefab". Unfortunatly, i cannot see now the conversation text ingame. I can only see the placeholder "DialogueOption X". So, somehow the Texts i created with the conversations don´t show up. What do i have to do to "link" the Conversations with the Button Texts?

I also tried to put in the prefab into my scene and link the buttons within the Dialogue List, but also this didn´t really work. In this case, i only see a very sharp line, maybe the menu but totally shrinked to a 10pxl line

I used the wizard and the "default assets" were my base so far. I use AC version 1.75.1.

Comments

• If you re-link the Buttons to the DialogList from the scene, be sure to apply changes back to the prefab before removing it from the scene.

Because of this, it's easier to double-click the UI prefab to open it up in "Prefab Mode" and re-link them from there - since changes made are applied automatically. You should find that the Constant ID values for each Button match up with the slots in the DialogList element.

Make sure also that the same UI prefab is assigned as the "Linked Canvas Prefab" in the Menu's properties.

Check the Console for related messages at runtime - does anything show up?

If the Menu is being shrunk, check your Canvas Scaler component. At runtime, pause the game when the Conversation shows up - if it's too small to see, you can navigate to the Text components in the ConversationUI object to check the text in their Inspectors.

• Hmm, i get rid of the menu size issue, but i still don´t see the text of the conversation nuggets i created. i double clicked the prefab and added the buttons in the Dialogue list, checked the linked canvas prefab and the id´s but i still see the "placeholders". Does it make a difference if i choose "uiPrefab in Scene" or only Prefab"? In tried it with both variants, but the problem is still there.

i also don´t get an error message in the console. I have a working conversation when i switch to the adventure created source, but as soon as i switch to unityUI (what is recommended as far as i understood), it doesn´t want to get the connection to my "Dialogue-StartConversation Actions" in the Action List for the Dialogue... The other Actions are working fine.

• Does it make a difference if i choose "uiPrefab in Scene" or only Prefab"? In tried it with both variants, but the problem is still there.

Unless you have a special case that requires it, choose "Prefab" and remove it from the scene file so that AC spawns the prefab in at runtime.

as i switch to unityUI (what is recommended as far as i understood), it doesn´t want to get the connection

The default menus should all work in UI - was this working before you made any changes?

If the AC version of the menu is working, it does sound like a connection issue. Start with the Menu's "Linked Canvas Prefab" field, making sure the ConversationUI object you're updating is the one it's linked to. Then compare the IDs in the DialogList with the Buttons in the prefab.

If you need another set of eyes on things, you're welcome to share screenshots.

• yea, sure...

here is a screen of the ingame placeholders
    https://ibb.co/JQphGkV

here from the scene /hirarchy

https://ibb.co/3S8xWDd

https://ibb.co/KVgMLVT

• The in-game screenshot shows only one option showing - is that correct? Does clicking the label at least run the option, even if the label itself is the wrong text?

If so, it may be more to do with the Text components. Are you using Text Mesh Pro elsewhere? If you've opted to use it with AC, it's a global setting - so all UI prefabs will need to be updated to use TextMeshProUGUI instead of Text components.

The screenshots also show you're using the Default_MenuManager and default ConversationUI prefabs - as opposed to your own set of these created using the New Game Wizard. This'll be unrelated to the main issue of this thread, but you'll need to rely on your own set to avoid your changes being reverted upon updating AC.

• Thx, the TextMesh Pro "problem" was the solution. I changed now all Text Elements and it works now :) Thx for your help !