Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is it possible to mix root/non-root animations?

edited April 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hello,
We work currently on small project and there is a problem. We want idle animations to be stunning, not just some character standing there - I mean player animations, not NPC. During animation character turns around, jumps at place, makes few steps away - that sort things. If we use root animation, ragdoll stops working and character starts levitate for whatever reason. If we turn off root motion, it destroys animations, because character feet start sliding etc. Besides, as far as I know if you turn on root motion AC will stop handling movement and you have to handle everything, including pathfinding yourself. Is there a way to make some animations use root motion and some not?

Comments

• Ok, solved it. I just added behavior to state and overloaded OnStateEnter and OnStateExitm setting animator.applyRootMotion to true and false.
    To Make character stop floating: animator.updateMode = AnimatorUpdateMode.AnimatePhysics;

• edited April 2022

Unfortunately new problem arises. Everything is clear with idle animations, but this approach does not work with walk animations. Some walk animations need root motion enabled and if we enable it - it will stop pathfinding- we will need to use some third party pathfinding plugin and handle everything "manually" and I am not sure then AC will be of any use for us. Is there any way to solve this with AC?

• Ok, Case closed. I just bake everything in animation on import.