Forum rules - please read before posting.

Update from 1.75.6 to 1.75.7 breaks several scenes

edited September 2022 in Technical Q&A

I updated AC from 1.75.6 to 1.75.7 and continued working on the scene I'd been previously working on (let's call it 'House' scene). Noticed no issues at all, until I clicked on a door hotspot to change scenes and go outside the player's house (let's call it 'Outside' scene).

The first thing I noticed was that the Outside scene's camera didn't fade in as defined by the scene's OnStart ActionList. I do have a rather long chain of variable checks, and it just wasn't getting to the Fade In action even though it should have. This ActionList looks pretty much the same as the one I use for the House scene, and it's basically a cascading chain of variable checks for the "Game Progress" global variable - except that unlike the one in the House scene, this one wasn't progressing past the variable checks. I initially thought the issue was a Run in Parallel action I use at the beginning (and it might have been too, I'm not sure, it works now after I deleted and recreated it), but the variable checks are definitely broken. I check if the Game Progress variable equals 1, link both outcomes to a wait action marked with "toggle breakpoint", run the actionlist, and the breakpoint never occurs.

The same issue happens with new actionlists within the scene.

Then I opened two other scenes that have a very similar OnStart Actionlist, and they are both broken too. I cannot find a way to fix it, nor can I figure out why the initial House scene I was working on when I updated AC still works!

I restored the backup I made before updating AC, and everything went back to normal. Updated again, everything broke again.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Comments

• Update: it isn't just the check variable action. The wait action (even when set to 0) gets stuck too. A custom action of mine also doesn't progress. This happens in broken scenes, but they all work in the one scene that isn't broken.

• The wait action (even when set to 0) gets stuck too.

Duplicate a broken scene, create an ActionList with this followed by an "ActionList: Comment" Action to display text once it runs, and then delete the other game logic. Check that running the ActionList manually then causes the issue to occur (i.e. the comment text does not display), and then PM me the scene file.

Separately, what is the result of importing v1.75.7, but replacing its /AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionLists/ActionList.cs file with that of v1.75.6?

• edited September 2022

I've managed to more easily reproduce this. I still have no idea why the OnStart ActionList IS working in the Home scene, since it contains some logic that breaks ActionLists elsewhere, but I've reproduced the bug in a fresh project.

Reproduction steps:

1. Create a new Unity 2D project (version 2021.2.7f1)
    2. Import AC 1.75.7
    3. Load the 2D Demo managers, and open the 2D Demo scene.
    4. Create the following cutscene:

1. Run the cutscene and notice how one of the "wait" actions after a "run in parallel" action gets stuck.

This is not the only scenario where this happens (checking variables after "run in parallel" also breaks, etc), but this might be enough to get you on the right track?

• Open up ActionList.cs, and look for line 456:

float waitTime = action.Run ();

Underneath, paste:

if (action.RunAllOutputs) waitedAnyFrame = true;

Does that resolve it?

• That seems to have done the trick! I haven't done any extensive testing, but now the OnStart ActionLists do reach de camera fade action like they did before