Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animations of walking, running, waiting...

I watched your video very informative, but the video does not show how to assign animations in a 3D game to a character or NPC for walking, running, and so on. Please tell me where you can read and it's better to see how to connect animations so that the speakers work with them.

Download animations from mixamo.com

Comments

• A tutorial on assigning animations to a 3D character can be found here.

• Excuse me, but how to understand where these windows are?

• edited November 2022

Here's what happened when following the instructions:
    https://streamable.com/zie9bc

I don’t understand how AC perceives animations when they need to be turned on, how to assign non-standard animations, for example, “pick up an object”?

• Excuse me, but how to understand where these windows are?

The two windows in the screenshot are inside the Animator window. The first is the parameters tab, that you can access by clicking "Parameters" in the top-left. The second is at the bottom of a Transition's properties (the arrow that connects two animation states).

These both deal with Unity's animation workflow - AC is not strictly involved here. A guide to Unity's Animator Controller system can be found here.

I don’t understand how AC perceives animations when they need to be turned on

For 3D characters, AC isn't aware of exactly what animations are playing. Instead, it works by taking control of Animator Parameters that are defined in the Animator, by listing them in the character's "Mecanim parameters" box.

For example, AC will set the "MoveSpeed" float parameter to the movement speed of the character. It's then up to your Animator Controller to use that parameter to play the appropriate idle/walk/run animation as a consequence.

how to assign non-standard animations, for example, “pick up an object”?

After placing a non-standard animation in the Animator Controller, you can then use AC's Character: Animate Action to either play it by entering in its name, or by using another Animator Parameter (such as a Trigger) to play it, and using the Action to affect that parameter.

The 3D Demo uses this technique throughout, when e.g. interacting with the Camera or the Stairs Hotspots.

• edited November 2022

If there was an instructional video it would be great..

• With difficulty, but it worked. Please tell me a few things:

https://streamable.com/hrbw4z
    1. The character does not go around obstacles - is it turned on somewhere?
    2. When talking, the character and the player turned to each other, although I set the whip, but it is very relative.
    3. I set the NPC to go into the "talk" animation, but for some reason it goes into idle - what did you do wrong?

• The character does not go around obstacles - is it turned on somewhere?

Are you referring to NavMesh Obstacles, which are a specific Unity component, or static objects in the world?

In order to evade NavMesh Obstacles, you will need to rely on Unity's NavMesh Agent component, which is able to communicate with them. For this to work with AC, you will also need to make use of AC's NavMesh Agent Integration component.

Adding both components to your character should be enough for this.

If you're instead referring to static objects in the world, make sure that anything stationary you wish to avoid is tagged as "Navigation Static", and re-bake your NavMesh. If the blue NavMesh that appears in the Scene Window goes around your obstacle, then so too should characters.

When talking, the character and the player turned to each other, although I set the whip, but it is very relative.

I don't know what you mean by "whip", but is the Ethan character in your scene the Player character? Share screenshots of the Actions involved, as well as the Inspectors of your two characters.

I set the NPC to go into the "talk" animation, but for some reason it goes into idle - what did you do wrong?

You do not need to use Character: Animate Actions to control the IsTalking bool - AC will handle this automatically, provided you've assigned it in the "Talk bool" field in your Player or NPC Inspector.

Any parameter assigned in the "Mecanim parameters" panel will be controlled by AC automatically. If you wish to control a parameter manually using e.g. Actions, do not assign it here.

Be sure to also uncheck "Has Exit Time" if you wish the Talk -> Idle transition to kick in as soon as IsTalking becomes False.

• In order to evade NavMesh Obstacles, you will need to rely on Unity's NavMesh Agent component, which is able to communicate with them. For this to work with AC, you will also need to make use of AC's NavMesh Agent Integration component.

installed but it does not go around obstacles ((

Turned off my talking animation.

The speaker does not see the animation of the conversation, tell me how to fix it?
    How should the animations be called so that the AU can see the animation of the conversation?

The same applies to the run animation, if you do the animation of the back as shown in the example, then he starts walking and then starts running once.

And I need, depending on what I indicated in the ActionList, the player walked or ran. What is the correct name for the animation?

• installed but it does not go around obstacles ((

You must attach both the NavMesh Agent and the NavMesh Agent Integration components to your character's root - not their model child object.

What obstacles are you trying to avoid?

The speaker does not see the animation of the conversation, tell me how to fix it?

Do you mean the character does not face the Player? You can use the Character: Face object Action for this.

Otherwise, I'll need you to rephrase your question.

How should the animations be called so that the AU can see the animation of the conversation?

What do you mean by "AU"?

Keep the character's Animator window open at runtime, and you should see their "IsTalking" parameter checkbox becoming ticked as they talk. Whether this results in the talk animation being played or not is down to the Transition from their current animation state to their Talk animation state.

And I need, depending on what I indicated in the ActionList, the player walked or ran.

Setting the Move speed as you are should do it - though a character won't run if they're too close to the destination.

Make sure your Run animation is transitioned to from your Walk animation, though - not your Idle animation.

• edited December 2022

You must attach both the NavMesh Agent and the NavMesh Agent Integration components to your character's root - not their model child object.

Installed on the character. Does not bypass the corners, what else to see?

What obstacles are you trying to avoid?

At least around the corners.

"AC" does not include animation when talking, the one that is written in the documentation:

Make sure your Run animation is transitioned to from your Walk animation, though - not your Idle animation.

No, I mean that I choose to "run" in the options and it runs without any intermediate "walk" is it possible?

• Installed on the character. Does not bypass the corners, what else to see?

You have not attached NavMesh Agent Integration - you have attached Nav Mesh Base.

At least around the corners.

Be aware that "obstacles" are a specific component type in Unity - see this page for details.

If you are not dealing with this, then you likely do not need the above components - but the baked NavMesh must correctly describe the shape that you wish characters to move around.

Share images/videos of the corner itself that you are having trouble getting characters to move around, as well as the shape of the baked NavMesh around this area.

"AC" does not include animation when talking, the one that is written in the documentation:

See my earlier comment - the IsTalking bool parameter should become checked while the character is talking.

If this is the case, then AC is doing its job - it's then up to the Animator to use this parameter change to cause the run animation to kick in.

This 3D tutorial video covers the process of working with idle/walk/run/talk animations here.

No, I mean that I choose to "run" in the options and it runs without any intermediate "walk" is it possible?

The character's speed needs to build up from zero to their run speed - so it may be that there are a few frames where the walk animation plays first. You can reduce this time, however, by increasing the NPC's Acceleration value so that the speed changes more quickly.

• edited December 2022

You have not attached NavMesh Agent Integration - you have attached Nav Mesh Base.

Did you connect to the player, or do you need to connect to something else?

As soon as I connect NavMesh the player stops walking, what's wrong?

https://streamable.com/m3uu76

The character's speed needs to build up from zero to their run speed - so it may be that there are a few frames where the walk animation plays first. You can reduce this time, however, by increasing the NPC's Acceleration value so that the speed changes more quickly.

Why does she immediately run, but the speed is the default?
    https://streamable.com/9pi5pq

• edited December 2022

This 3D tutorial video covers the process of working with idle/walk/run/talk animations here.

Walking and running won finally))
    Thank you, Chris! Video tutorials are power!
    It remains to figure out how to win "talk".

https://streamable.com/kdb2zw

• It looks like it's working for the second line, when she says "run". You can see the IsTalking box become checked.

As she's moving at the same time, though, she ends up sliding across the scene. If you want to only have the talk animation play while she's idle, you can add an additional "Move Speed less than 0.1" condition to the Blend Tree -> Talk transition.

For the first line, "hi", IsTalking isn't becoming checked. Is Don't animate speaker? unchecked in the Action for this line? Share a screenshot of the ActionList being run.

• edited December 2022

Hello, is that what you mean?

https://streamable.com/a51zoh

• For the first line, "hi", IsTalking isn't becoming checked. Is Don't animate speaker? unchecked in the Action for this line? Share a screenshot of the ActionList being run.

• edited December 2022

https://streamable.com/9hllfd
    Here is such progress in the study of "AS" in two weeks. Implemented walking on Blend Trees.

If you don't mind, record a video using walking, running and talking animations (Without using Blend Trees) The video is the best example to never come back to this topic again. Thanks in advance!

• edited December 2022

The use of Blend Trees is recommended for smooth motion.

You have Don't animate speaker? checked in the first line's Action. Uncheck it to have AC set the "IsTalking" bool to True while the line is spoken.