Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC as child of a rotated Transform is rotating wildly.

Hi,

so I run into the issue where I want to place an NPC at the end of a rope and I want to add a swinging motion to the rope (beside the rope swinging motion the NPC is static and not moving anywhere).

My hierarchy is: Rope -> NPC.
As soon as I slightly rotate the NPCs parent (the rope) the NPC rotates like wild. How can I prevent that?

Please help.

Best!
Alex

Comments

• Is it the NPC's root rotating like wild, or their sprite child?

You can try unchecking Turn root object in 3D? in their Inspector, but it'd probably be best to rely on a script to snap their position/rotation to the rope through script as opposed to parenting them:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class PositionSetter : MonoBehaviour
    {

public Transform positionReference;
        public Transform rotationReference;
        public Transform transformToPosition;
        public Transform transformToRotate;
        private bool isOn;

private void Update ()
        {
            if (isOn)
            {
                if (positionReference && transformToPosition) transformToPosition.position = positionReference;
                if (rotationReference && transformToRotate) transformToRotate.rotation = rotationReference;
            }
        }

public void TurnOn ()
        {
            isOn = true;
        }

public void TurnOff ()
        {
            isOn = false;
        }

}

To use this, attach to the NPC as PositionSetter.cs, fill in its Inspector fields, and then use the Object: Send message Action to call its TurnOn/TurnOff functions.

• Hi!

It is the SpriteRenderer Child of the NPC. Happens with in any fresh created scene and NPC - no custom behaviour.
    Turn root object in 3D doesn't change it. I tried other options too.

I am on AC 1.75.4

It would be nice to be able to set the NPC as child of an object just for convenience but I understand that it might cause problems. I thought about resetting the localRotation in a LateUpdate but it is another hack - and I try to avoid these ;)

• Thanks for the details.

The script above is probably your best bet, then. All of the Inspector fields are optional - so you need only supply Transforms to affect the rotation if needed.