Forum rules - please read before posting.

Simple way to let the player know there is a hotspot when they are dragging an inventory item

Hello,
I have another noob question!
i'm searching a simple way to let the player know there is a hotspot when they are dragging an inventory item.

by default, with no object selected, simply the cursor changes appearance when it is over a hotspot, obviously this no longer happens when the cursor is an inventory object.

I have already tried to:

-highlight an object only when you have an active object (because I don't want objects to light up when I only have the normal cursor)

-highlight the inventory object that is now the cursor when it passes over a hotspot

unfortunately I don't know anything about code and I was trying to do this by fiddling around in the menus.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Comments

• Both should be possible - so ultimately it's down to your preference.

When the Inventory cursor is over a Hotspot that has Inventory interactions defined, the cursor will display the item's "Active graphic" texture, if defined in its properties panel.

Otherwise, it should be feasible to use scripting to limit Hotspot highlighting to only when an item is selected - let me know if you'd prefer that and I can help further.

• great, thank you!

I think I would prefer to have the cursor sprite light up when it passes over a hotspot

• Assigning an "Active graphic" to the item should be enough, in that case.

• unfortunately it doesn't work, assigning another texture on active graphics only changes it when the cursor passes over it inside the inventory.

Then once the inventory object is selected I think it takes the default texture in case the cursor's texture is not available, but even if I give the cursor one, I still can't get them to swap when it passes over a hotspot

• assigning another texture on active graphics only changes it when the cursor passes over it inside the inventory.

What's your AC version?

By default, the active graphic will only show when hovering over a Hotspot that has an Inventory interaction defined.

You can have it show for all Hotspots, however, by checking Show Active FX when an Interaction is unhandled? in the Settings Manager.

• Ok great it works! I simply had to set things right inside the setting manager!
    Thank you so much!!!