Forum rules - please read before posting.

Switching between scenes during cutscenes

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A

Hi there, 

I have two scenes, both apartments. The player finds a remote control in the first apartment and uses it. I would like to show in a cutscene how a TV is turned on in the 2nd apartment and then switch back to the player scene. How can I do that? 

THX!

Comments

• Can you put both apartments in the same scene but separated by some distance? Then you can just move the camera between them.
  • You can also do it with variables, if you want to keep the scenes separate. 

In scene 1, run your cutscene, and end it with a scene change action, but right before that action, set a variable like TVon = true.

Then when scene 2 is run, set up a cutscene on start to check for the TVon variable. If true, run whatever actions you need (turning the TV on) and then end that cutscene with a scene change action to change it back to scene 1. You can also set another variable before changing back to scene 1 which indicates that you have come back from the scene 2 TV on cutscene, so something like TVcutscene = true.

Then back in scene 1, your on start cutscene can check for that variable (or if scene 2 is only used in this way, you can use the check previous scene action) and then run the appropriate actions.

This technically uses 3 different cutscenes, but if you set it up right it should go smoothly as if there is only 1.
  • Ok, will try that. THX!