Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to display a "Continue" icon/button at the end of a dialogue line?

Similar to a post I made about a continue button in a cutscene, I'm looking to have a "Continue" button display when a line of dialogue has completed. Clicking or pressing the button would go to the next bit of dialogue or exit/play a cutscene. Like dialogue in Zelda games or some old RPGs.
I feel like this is do-able in AC but I'm not sure if the answer is somewhere in the Speech manager or via creating a custom Subtitles menu. Any help here would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• First make sure that Subtitles can be skipped? is checked in your Speech Manager.

Once set, the "SkipSpeech" input - if listed in Unity's Input Manager - can be pressed to skip the current speech.

If you want it to be an on-screen button, rather than a physical keypress, add a Button element to your Subtitles menu and have it simulate the "SkipSpeech" button - so that clicking it causes the input to fire.

• How can the button appear after the dialogue line is done printing? Just an indicator that the character has finished speaking and you need to hit next. I haven't found a way for AC to detect when a line is complete and to activate a UI menu. Dialogue->WaitForSpeech doesn't work for this either, as it removes the dialogue to go to the next thing.

• A custom script that hooks into a speech event can achieve this.

How are you determing that a character has finished speaking? At the point of scrolling completing, or audio finishing?

• Just when the text scrolling is complete!

• This should do it:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class ContinueSpeechButton : MonoBehaviour
    {

public string menuName = "Subtitles";
        public string buttonName = "Continue";

private void OnEnable ()
        {
            EventManager.OnStartSpeech_Alt += OnStartSpeech;
            EventManager.OnEndSpeechScroll_Alt += OnEndSpeechScroll;
        }

private void OnDisable ()
        {
            EventManager.OnStartSpeech_Alt -= OnStartSpeech;
            EventManager.OnEndSpeechScroll_Alt -= OnEndSpeechScroll;
        }

void OnStartSpeech (Speech speech)
        {
            PlayerMenus.GetElementWithName (menuName, buttonName).IsVisible = false;
        }

void OnEndSpeechScroll (Speech speech)
        {
            PlayerMenus.GetElementWithName (menuName, buttonName).IsVisible = true;
        }

}

Paste into a C# script named ContinueSpeechButton, place in the scene, and update its Inspector values with the name of your Menu, and it's "Continue" button, respectively.

• Thank you so much Chris!! You are a saint!