Forum rules - please read before posting.

Carfting System: How to combine multiple Inventory Items

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
Let's say my Player character needs to build a campfire to grill a fish. He needs some wood to burn, a Stick for the Fish, maybe some rocks to define the campfire area and some sort of fire starter.
I could let him go through all of this like:
1- use Rocks on ground to define the Campfire area
2- use Wood on Campfire area
3- use fire starter to set Wood on fire
4- use Stick on Fish
5- and at last use the Fish on the Campfire

I don't know if this was the best example but it's something simple enoughbut you can see its getting really complex.

So my question is there's a way to combine multiple Inventory items at once?
If there's not I think this would be a really awesome tool for the next update...

Comments

• You mean like a Minecraft-style "recipe" system?  Might be interesting, thanks for the suggestion.
  • Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. 
    Could be something very simple like a Minecraft-style or more complex like we see on average RPGs where you can also choose some items to "equip". I saw other threads looking for more ways to expand the Inventory system to do this Equipment stuff and so. I think that we could create more complex puzzles if we could combine more than 2 Items. I've started a game prototype using only AC and I am really happy with it but then I realized that to fulfill my vision I want to mix some Survival RPG stuff like scavenging, harvesting and finally crafting. So I hope you consider this suggestion and maybe make my dreams come true :)
    Thanks again for this awesome tool!
  • I came across a similar problem when setting up puzzles in my game and i think the integration of a crafting system or at least the ability to combine multiple items would be a great addition to the already great asset that is Adventure Creator.
  • I can confirm that crafting will be in AC's 1.32 update.  The Inventory Manager is being upgraded to allow you to define "recipes" that take Inventory item ingredients, to create a new one.  Place items down on the new "Crafting" menu element and bam!  Optionally, you can force ingredients to be placed on specific slots, so that your recipes have to follow a specific pattern, Minecraft-style.
  • Chris that's awesome!

With this be 2d or 3d, would it be able to go to a minigame where you would have different elements that would fit together in a certain way to make like a key to unlock a treasure room.

Like the old puzzles where you have to spin it around to examine how the pieces fit together...