Forum rules - please read before posting.

Two bugs with 1.30 (skip cutscene and hotspot/navmesh detection)

edited April 2014 in Engine development
1.30 is great, but I've noticed a couple bugs: 

1) When I attempt to skip a cutscene, most things are indeed skipped correctly, but I have noticed that object: transform actions seem to get ignored. That is to say, if I have a book falling to the floor during a cutscene using an object: transform action to translate the book from (x,y,z,) to (a,b,c), when I attempt to skip that action the book remains at (x,y,z). And I've noticed that this is not an isolated incident, and seems to happen for most if not all object: translate actions.

2) I had a problem prior to 1.29 in which I would place a hotspot on the floor so that it can be examined/used, and a navmesh on the floor as well, and only the hotspot would be detected by a raycast. After 1.30, this problem seems to have resurfaced. This means I cannot click to walk to a location on the navmesh if there is a hotspot on the floor. The navmesh segment is in the navmesh layer and the hotspot is in the default layer, as it was when using 1.29. Any idea why this problem resurfaced? 

Another note: 
When I had updated to the previous versions, I would have a managers folder in my assets folder, and the managers in this folder would not get erased or overwritten. However, when updating to 1.30, all of the managers except for the menu manager were deleted. Luckily I had backed them all up outside of any unity folder, so this wasn't a big problem, but it would be a good idea to warn people about this when updating.

Edit: Regarding point 2- I've done a bit more messing around and determined that placing the hotspot below the navmesh allows me to walk on the area successfully. However, in 1.29 the hotspot could be above or below the navmesh and either way it would work. It looks like allowing collision cubes in the default layer to block raycasts changed the way raycasts work from 1.29.

I have some scenes where the hotspot acts as a background to "look" at, and is placed very close to the camera to cover most of the "background" area without using many large hotspot objects. Sort of like a mask over the camera's view. Now, in 1.30, this hotspot blocks the raycast from reaching the navmesh, and the scene can't work as intended. I suppose this isn't that hard to work around, but do you know if there is a simple fix to this issue?

Comments

• Yep after updating I couldn't find most of my managers in the list when clicking on the dot in the slot, had to drag them in there manually. So sounds like I dodged a bullet by already having them outside of the AC folder structure eh?
  • It's a bit of a minefield so far as how Unity decides to update assets.  To be honest, I have no idea why/how your Managers were being replaced in 1.30 and not in others - it's not a setting I can directly affect.  If you create Managers from scratch, rather than renaming/copying the originals, you ought to be safe, but I would also recommend using the New Game Wizard to create your Managers.

As for your Hotspot detections, I'm afraid this was a change made for the "greater good" - the intention being that Colliders on the Default layer block raycast clicks, so that the cursor can't "see through walls".  If you can work around it, I'm afraid you'll have to - I apologies, but I hope you understand more people need the change to be made.
  • That's fine, I found an easy enough workaround. I'm also thinking about making life simpler in general and setting up a "background" script for each camera- meaning an unhandled interaction for each type of interaction and for each camera, so that I can both generally "look" at a scene and "use" a scene, maybe to pick up rocks.

Any thoughts on point 1? Would the mecanim fix in 1.30a also fix this problem? I have not yet tried to update to it.
  • Point 1 is ready for 1.31, which will be out shortly (likely Monday)
  • Excellent, thanks!