Forum rules - please read before posting.

[2D] Getting Started From Scratch

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
There have been a few significant changes to the way AC deals with 2D. I'm getting a bit lost starting from scratch. That is, not trying to use any demo resources but begin my own game from my own assets entirely.

Does starting from scratch on 2D projects still reasonably follow the two YouTube video tutorials?

Is the newer "Top Down" 2D the optimum one to use and if so, how do I stop my sprites importing all rotated with Y as their vertical axis?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Yes, use the Top Down approach and focus on the latest video tutorial. It's much easier to set up your navmesh for example.

I usually insert sprites by dragging them into the scene with 2d enabled. Then I disable 2d and rotate them 90 degrees. Might be better ways to do this but it's worked well for me so far.
  • I'm tempted to bundle the sprites into the _SetGeometry parent and then rotate that by 90 degrees. Of course I'm wary that this might cause trouble.

It's a pity Unity and AC appear to be 'at odds' in respect of how they process 2D for this.
  • As @Guran points out, the "top down" approach is indeed down to the way NavMeshes must be laid out in Unity.  If you wish to work in Unity's native 2D view, you can switch your Moving and turning setting to Screen Space, but I do recommend Top Down.

A tutorial series on creating 2D scenes is available here.
  • Thanks. I think I will go Top-Down as you all recommend. As a new user I followed the video tutorial which relates to Screen Space I think, with the short addendum video introducing Top Down. It's quite hard to see follow what works from the first video when doing the Top Down method. I think I have got my head round it now for the most part.

I'm expecting to actually make the NavMeshes in Maya. This is because I want to be able to have scenery change in response to the player progression and, as I understand it, this is the way to do it.
  • No problem. I would recommend the text tutorials over the video ones, when it comes to 2D scenes, though.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes, the text tutorials are more detailed, definitely follow those! Chris, there is one thing I would like if you to add to the Unity sprite based character tutorial: that the imported character sprites needs to have Pivot set to Bottom (not Center, the default setting). It took me a while to figure that out. Thanks :)
  • Good spot, thanks.
  • From reading the update logs it would seem that Unity 2D is the new "best practice" for 2D.

Am I right in thinking this now?

What implications does this have for making 2D character animations? Or are all the tutorials in place up-to-speed with the change?

Thanks
  • The tutorials are up-to-date now, but generally the difference is with the arrangement of your scene objects and cameras.  The workflow for character animations is the same, the only difference when it comes to building character prefabs is that you add 2D collider / rigidbody components instead of the 3D ones.

It's worth mentioning though that the Unity2D mode is still optional - if you've been making a game in another mode it's still supported.
  • I've been running tests and learning the processes. I'm keen to use the Unity modes as it seems more intuitive for many reasons.

So new pre-fabs are a must with the different method. Good to know.