Forum rules - please read before posting.

[SOLVED] Mecanim Animation stopped working since update to 1.30?

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
Since I upgraded to 1.30 any calls via Character.Animate simply aren't working any more. I've checked the AnimController and everything's fine. The animations play once tested but it's just when they're called from a cutscene or wherever that nothing happens.

The walking works fine though. Very odd :/

Any ideas why this could be? 

Comments

• It was a critical bug that was fixed the day after - update the latest version, 1.30a, and it'll be fixed.
  • Brilliant, cheers Chris :)
  • Was it though? I'm having the same issue currently with 1.31. I skipped 1.30a.
  • It fixed my problems, did you re-import the right files?
  • I updated everything except for build settings and input settings. Which files were affected by the 1.30a hotfix?
  • I'm not sure but I did what you did - imported all apart from build settings.

It worked no problem for me?
  • @hedgefield: The bad file was AnimEngine_Mecanim.cs.  Perhaps it's related to your previous problem of scaling characters.  I was wrong about your sprite children not being able to have Animator components - it should be enough that their animations do not have "scale" keyframes.
  • @ChrisIceBox Interesting, I don't see that one in the list when I reimport AC so I must have the latest version. I'll try throwing it away and reimporting again.

I had already removed all scale keyframes in my animations after your suggestion and instead made them all sprites swaps. Which works perfectly fine for walking around and in the Face Object action, but triggering that animation through Character Animate doesn't seem to do anything currently?
  • That was the issue with 1.30 - I've checked again and it should still be fixed.  Can anyone else confirm whether or not the Mecanim bug in 1.30 (and fixed in 1.30a) is still gone in 1.31?
  • Hm, reimporting didn't help. I'm looking at the script here and I'm wondering if we're dealing with the same thing, because Mechanim is for 3D animation right? And Tayanna is working in 3D I believe, I'm using 2D topdown (with Animators). Is that considered Mechanim-driven too? I think you said it was, right?
  • May be a bit of misunderstanding here.  Yes, 2d uses Mecanim, but I'm talking about the AC-internal "animation engine" here, with Mecanim and Sprites Unity considered separately.  Look to the Brain2D prefab used by the 2D demo - that shows the best way to implement 2D sprites with a Mecanim-FSM.  
  • I have no problems with Mecanim animations in 1.31.
  • Hey Chris, thanks, I checked and my character is set up exactly like Brain as far as I can tell - aside from my Animator now being on the root instead of the sprite child. So I tried moving it back down onto the sprite child and that seems to have done it. I guess Character:Animate doesn't recognize an Animator if it's not on the sprite child itself.

p.s. can I ask what the directional suffix option does? If I type idle_R as the clip name it plays that, so what is the purpose of that checkbox?

Cheers!
  • Say you want the player to pick up an object, but you're not sure of the direction they'll be facing.  You can use that to leave the direction to AC - so it'll convert "Take" to "Take_L" or "Take_R" automatically.

Having said that, it looks like the feature is actually broken with Mecanim!  It works for Sprites Unity, but I'll have to fix it for 1.32.