Forum rules - please read before posting.

Password puzzle or Anagram Puzzle and Cut Scenes

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
1) So  i've read the "Letting the player enter their name" tutorial.

I was already thinking of implementing a kind of cheat code page in which certain cheat codes would unlock several things in game.
"Letting the player enter their name" tutorials instructions are not clear on how to use this feature for puzzles. Is there any tips any one can chip in ?

2) I cannot seem to make cutscenes check variables on  "on load". But if i check the same variables on "on start" im able to check them and use the results. Why might that be?

Also can anyone explain how can i use On Load and On Variable Change options for cutscenes?

3) I've made an Intro screen which loads on cutscene. The Intro screen when activated pauses the game. I would like to play sound while this screen is on but when this screen comes up, the game is paused and so the sounds cease to play. In short, how can i make sounds play on "menus" ?

Thanks

Comments

• 1) Once the text input is stored as a String variable, it can be queried using the Variable: Check Action - e.g. check to see if it's the correct password or no.

2) There's no restriction with OnLoad and variable checking.  Perhaps there's a problem with your ActionList itself.  Bear in mind that this cutscene will use the variable values stored in your saved game file, and not their states before the game was loaded.

3) If your Intro screen appears on it's own scene, there's no need for it to pause the game since it doesn't need to block any gameplay.  Just uncheck the Pause when enabled box and you'll be able to play sounds.
  • 1) Ill try and get back at you asap on this.

2) So On Load is not when scene is loaded but rather if game is loaded from save? Does this means if we mean to check variables in scenes, than we  should check them on on start?

3) The problem is , if i wont pause the game, than other menu items seem to appear. Would you suggest that i turn off all the other menu items, and turn them on the first game scene? Or would you suggest another way
  • 1) Alright its working!

3) I've also overcome this problem.

Thank you

• OnLoad is called when a saved game is loaded, even if the player was in a different scene before the game was loaded.  OnStart is called whenever the player enters the scene through regular gameplay.  Ignoring save games, you'll want to use OnStart when setting up the scene based on variable values.
  • Hey Chris

Im having a crowded "on start" cutscene. Would you recommend that i create other cutscenes with variable checks and call to them in the OnStart Cutscene ? Would it impact performance?

Thank you
  • If your OnStart is getting crowded, for sure you can use the Variable: Check Action to move to different Cutscenes accordingly.  Don't forget about the ActionList Editor though, it makes the viewing of large ActionLists much easier to handle.