Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pause menu doesn't work during dialogues

edited October 2014 in Technical Q&A
My "Pause" menu buttons doesn't work in the middle of the dialogue.

I can call the Pause menu in the mid of a dialogue by clicking "Esc", but I can't use the menu buttons.

For example button "Resume" doesn't close the menu and button quit doesn't quit the game.
My resume and quit buttons are the same as default. Resume button has the Click State: Turn Off Menu with Do Transition enabled.
Quit has an action list with just the Engine: End Game.

So I can't close the menu using buttons.

I still can close the menu by clicking Esc again.

Comments

• And it works at all other times?  Are only clicks unrecognised, or do the "hover" effects not work, either?

I'm assuming your Pause menu, like the default, is set to "Pause game when enabled".  What's your GameState set to when things break?  Check the PersistentEngine prefab's StateHandler script Inspector.
  • edited October 2014
    And it works at all other times? 
    Yes. Or at least it seems to me.

Are only clicks unrecognised, or do the "hover" effects not work, either?
    Hover is recognized. The click seems not (it doesn't call the sound click if I click on it).

I'm assuming your Pause menu, like the default, is set to "Pause game when enabled". 
    I confirm. It is set as Pause when enabled.

What's your GameState set to when things break? 
    It is set as "Pause when I'm in the menu" and as "Cutscene" when I'm out of the menu.

One other thing I noticed.
    The menu works during the cutscenes, but only between dialogue lines.
    If one NPC is saying something and I go to the menu, the menu doesn't work.

So maybe it's a problem of the other menu (the Subtitles).
    My Speech has the following elements enabled:
    - Allow subitle skipping
    - Skip background speech
    - Display time factor 25

My subitles menu has the following:
    - Appear Type: When Speech Play
  • Not that it should, but it could be to do with the order of your Pause menu in relation to others in the list.  Try re-ordering it so that it's at the far top, and then the far bottom.  Do either of those make a difference?
  • edited October 2014
    Tried both ways. At top and at bottom, but nothing changes.
  • Duplicate the project and strip everything away except that which I need to see if happening for myself (if the MenuManager + ActionLists is enough, great).  I'll take a look at it, but I need the file size down as much as possible, please.
  • I seem to have the same issue. @JackMariani, please let me know if you find a solution :)
  • ChrisIceBox told me that he found the issue and he'll solve it for the next release.
    In my case the bug was related to the Speech Manager, it should be solved disabling "Allow speech skipping".
  • In my case I kinda need the speech skipping, so I'll wait for the fix in 1.40 then. Thanks for the heads-up :)
  • edited October 2014
    You could try creating a specific action list and add it to the subtitles, doing the following:

1) Add an Input in the Input project settings (I use space)
    2) Create the following ActionList (set it to Run in Background):
    - Input Check (Space) 
    -> if condition is met: Continue -> Dialogue: Stop Speech
    -> if condition is not met: -> skip to Input Check (that loops on itself)
    3) Add the above action list to the menu in: "Action List When Turn On:"

This should create a manual skipping using the space button.