Forum rules - please read before posting.

An old fart with a noob question

edited October 2014 in Technical Q&A

Hello everyone!  I’m a middle-aged noob to both Unity and AC.  I could use some guidance with a small project I’m attempting.  I’m not looking for hand holding or coddling.  Just looking to be pointed in the right direction in terms of a relevant tutorial.  And yes, I have already looked around. ;-)  If it is important to know, the target platform is an iPad with a portrait orientation. I may possibly expand that to PC/Mac, but not now.  For now, I’ll keep this a 3D app since that's where I'm at in terms of (very) basic knowledge. However, I am willing to reconsider doing it as a 2D or 2.5D if you all think it is advisable to do so. Here is the scenario:

The setup of the scene is pretty straightforward.  At the top of the screen there are three objects: a cube, a cone, and a triangle.  These same three objects also appear at the bottom of the screen, but they appear as “holes.”  The object is to drag each object, using one’s finger, to its corresponding hole.  When the user drags the an object to its correct hole, the object locks into place.  It can’t be moved.  If the user drags an object to the wrong hole or if the user drags an object towards the correct hole but fails to place the object precisely into its designated place, the object will travel back to its place of origin.  Once the user successfully places all three objects into their correct holes, an audio file will play congratulating the user on a job well done.  Finally, the user hits the “Next” button and is taken to a new scene (with different objects).  The new scene should be chosen at random by the app. 

Thank!!!

JP

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, JP.

Are you asking how to do all of the above?  Or is there an element to this in particular that you're having trouble with?

In broad terms, you'll need each object to be a PickUp (with the relevent mesh / collider attached as a child).  The Physics Demo features a rock that can be picked up - I'd suggest downloading the scene and seeing how it's set up as a practical example.

You'd then use Triggers to determine if the correct object is in the correct place (Triggers can be used to detect the presence of specific objects, not just the player).

One thing you'll need that's lacking, however, is the ability to check if a particular object is currently being held by the player - so that you only manually move an object once it's been "dropped".  This will be available in a new Action, included in the upcoming 1.40 release.

As for changing to a random scene, you'd use the Variable: Check random number Action.  You'll be able to perform a different subsequent Action (Engine: Change scene) based on it's value.  This would be easier to do in the ActionList Editor window, rather than the regular Inspector.
  • Thanks Chris!  A broad explanation to get me started was what I was after.  Do you have a target date for the 1.4 release?  
  • I'm afraid I don't.  I should think it'd be out in the next couple of weeks, though.