Forum rules - please read before posting.

Move object to another GameObject position

Hello,

Here's a suggestion. 
This came up as we tried to equip an object to one of our character's hand. 
Since we're using our own integration with Spine, we don't have the "Hold Object" option. But our character's hand bone
is a gameobject, so we thought it would be no problem parenting the object to the hand and moving it there.
However, AC doesn't seem to have any action to easily move an object to the position of another one and when parenting
you can set a local position but through vector coordinates, not another gameobject position. 

Maybe adding this option would be handy? 
Thanks!

Comments

• Oh, our workaround btw is attaching a marker to the bone, that way we can make use of the object-teleport action.  I just think the marker limitation may not be necessary? It may be a design decision, not sure.
    Speaking of that, we also had to scale an object, so we went for the object transform approach, but this only takes Moveable objects. Adding the moveable script is no problem, but I just think non moveable objects could benefit of this.
    Finally, there's no translate or move object to a marker, position or another gameobject action except for characters. Would be cool to have that.

Cheers :)
  • edited October 2014
    Sounds like this is quite specific to the fact that you're using Spine.  Don't forget that with custom actions, there's no end to what you can do!
  • We've been creating and using custom actions, Chris :)
    I only suggest it because I thought it would be of use to non-coders and it's already half-way implemented.

• What is being suggested sounds like it would be useful in situations like this: 

• Indy would had appreciated it!
  • edited October 2014
    Finally, there's no translate or move object to a marker, position or
    another gameobject action except for characters. Would be cool to have
    that.

But the Object: Transform Action does just that, no?  What is it you're looking to do that this Action can't do?
  • edited October 2014
    For Object: Transform you need to manually input the vector, you can't choose another gameobject's transform as the target. I can imagine a few scenarios where you wouldn't know the target vector transform before hand, or where it would be more convenient just to drag an object. 

As you said, it's something easily done through a custom action, just thought that it fits Object:Transform anyway and is coherent with the rest of the default actions that let you work similarly with gameobjects or markers.