Forum rules - please read before posting.

Button prompts, snapping to hotspots and using controllers?

edited October 2014 in Technical Q&A
Heya you lovely people!

I'm playing with the idea of finally getting "Adventure Creator" to start doing some prototyping/practising so I am able to do projects with it during my studies (which is, funny enough, game producing). I'm a big fan of the Telltale-School of adventure games (including their use of controller), which is one of the main reason I'm flirting heavily with AC right now.

If you ever played a "Walking Dead" or "Wolf among Us" game, you notices, that you basically control 2 things (kinda). One is the character, the second thing you controll is the curser (which was kind of a blob/circle in the last games). Everytime you came close to a hotspot, the blob "snapped" to it, expanded, and showed you things you can do to interact with the hotspot. Those things were laid out in a similar way to the buttons on the controller (4 interactions - on up, one right, one down, one left).
I thought of this as a pretty cool way to controll a game.

Is it possible to set up something like this using AC?

- snapping to a hotspot
- triggering a UI that shows the possibilities
- customizing this UI, so you can switch out icons

It would be awesome if you could set up this UI once, and basically call it, whenever you need it.

So yeah, just wondered if and how this is possible.

Cheers!

Comments

• Yeah, this should be possible - as of 1.39.  In your Settings Manager, set your Interaction method to Choose Hotspot Then Interaction, then Select Interactions by to Cycling Menu And Clicking Hotspot.

You'll now be able to define multiple Interactions per Hotspot, giving each a unique Icon (as set in the Cursor Manager).  When you click a Hotspot, AC will look for an Interaction menu (basically anything that's Appear Type is set to On Interaction).  An Interaction menu will display the Interactions available for that Hotspot.

This is similar to the 2D demo, where clicking a Hotspot causes the available Interactions to appear as icons.  The difference with this mode, however, is that you instead cycle through the available Interactions (by way of the CycleInteractions input axis), and click the Hotspot again once the desired Interaction is highlighted.

You can use the provided Demo_MenuManager's own Interaction menu, and re-style it from there.  To make it snap to a Hotspot, simply choose it's Position as On Hotspot.  You can then use the various UI tools to style it to your liking.
  • And you just sold me.
    Thanks a lot!