Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Solved] Subtitles do not appear "Above Speaking Character"

edited November 2014 in Engine development
I have the text set to "Above Speaking Character" but what appears to control the position is the X and Y settings right under in the inspector for the Menu properties.

I have tried setting this to 0,0 but then it just appears in the top left hand corner.

Am I doing something wrong or is this not what it would appear to be?

Comments

• Which perspective are you working in, and is this error just for Players / NPCs or all Characters?

When previewing the menu in the Game window (when the game is not running), the menu assumes that the screen's centre is the character's position.  X and Y values of 50, 50 would place the menu just above the character in-game, so you can raise it upwards slightly by changing Y to say 46.  A setting of 0,0 would place it towards the top-left of the screen for any character.

You can see how this setting is used in the 2D Demo game: the Subtitles menu is set to appear above characters in this way.
  • Perspective is 2D using Unity 2D.

Happens to both Player and NPC.

The 0,0 thing happens in actual gameplay not just in the preview.

I'll take a look tomorrow and compare demo to my game (not in the office today where my project is all on that PC). Cheers.
  • I think I found the reason for the issue and it's my own silly fault: In order to easily control my player size I scaled the prefab down. I should have used the pixel ratio but re-importing all the frames (2D) is a royal pain :)

When I reset the scale back to 1,1,1 the subtitles and conversations appeared where expected.