Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D: more than 8 directions?

edited November 2014 in Technical Q&A
I would really love to use more than 8 directions in 2D mode, is this possible? i tried mecanim, but the sprite ignores "freeze rotation" and, well rotates.... (and how do i grab the current angle to the camera?) any thoughts to accomplish this? thanks!

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I'd love to see this as well. Perhaps "just" expand on the current suffixes for directions, like a 16 point compass rose.

• wouldn't it be easier to simply provide the angle value, and the switching would be created in mecAnim? why restrict it at all? (i'd prefer 12/24 angles by the way ;) - int angles, and clock layout, which is way easier to visualize when you see the name, instead of LDL - unless i'm missing something ;) )..

it would be great if AC would provide a mode to handle these custom setups...
  • @deoesi: It does.  Custom animation engine scripts can be plugged into the system: it's how e.g. 2D Toolkit is integrated.  The SetSpriteDirection function in the script Char.cs calculates a character's angle relative to the camera - you could use the same code in a custom animation engine script to output the angle as a parameter.

Are you using Sprites Unity Complex for your animation?  It may be worth adding this feature into that script officially.
  • i tried to create it using "mecanim" mode (unity complex seemed to use fixed directions aswell)... i admit (as a non-coder). it would be a nice feature to have out of the box... ;) (maybe just an additional float to connect mecanim to?)

thanks a lot!!
  • I'll consider it.  If it were to change, it'd certainly be in Sprites Unity Complex.