Forum rules - please read before posting.

Ideas greater than skill;)

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
Well I thought of a part of my game where I click on an object that starts a cutscene where my character is walking and talking with an npc, my camera is following my character as the character is walking and talking, one part of the scene my character walks by a table, I would like to be able to click on an object while the player walks by it, sort of like a timed event, before it goes off camera. The idea is that the player walks by a table and grabs a goblet then smacks the npc over the head with it to cause a branch in gameplay. Grabbing the goblet does one direction with the story but not grabbing the goblet goes in another.

1. Can I have a clickable object that can be added to my inventory or change and animation during a cutscene, if yes what would be best practice for this?

2. Can I call with AC to run a layered animation through Mecanim e.g. player walking, click on object run layered animation for upper body, reach and grab goblet as the player keeps walking?  Also best practice...

I know I'm way over my head with this but I'm willing to throw myself into the fray if it is possible.

Comments

• If I'm understanding you correctly, what you are suggesting is very doable with AC.

You can set up a cutscene so that it is running in the background, and not pausing gameplay, which will allow you to interact with items while the cutscene is happening and the camera is moving.

All you really need to do is set up the cutscene to make the characters walk to a certain point, have them talk (I suppose the speech would have to be played in the background), switch cameras to one that moves with the player, and give the table/goblet a hotspot.

Doing this, you can set it up so that the player walks and talks while the interactions are still fully functional. To make it even more polished, you can run a player: constrain movement action so that the player cannot actually inadvertently move the character so that he walks somewhere else, and also set up an engine: modify systems action so that the cursor doesn't appear during the first part of the cutscene.

Then, you can have a trigger some place around the table/goblet that reactivates the cursor with the engine: modify systems action, which should hint to the player that you can interact with something now.

A hotspot on the table/goblet can call actions which stop the player and NPC from walking their current route (character: face usually works well for this) and then run your appropriate head-smacking animations.

Also you can have a trigger PAST the table so that if the player does not activate the goblet, a different set of actions can be called. 

Hope this helps!
  • WOW!

Ideas abound!

Thank YOU!