Forum rules - please read before posting.

change walk sound?

edited November 2014 in Technical Q&A
I read in the manual, Character:Animate should contain a way to change the walk sound, but i don't seem to find it? I just recently reimported the asset, so thats probably not the problem... has the action moved, or do i encounter something unexpected? :)  or was I blind no seeing it, somehow?

thanks!

Comments

• Have you looked in your player prefab? 

In the Player script's public settings for Audio Clips (listed in the Inspector) there are WALK, RUN and SOUND CHILD options. (Almost identically for 2D and 3D characters)

If you can't find them I'll post a screengrab.
  • thanks, but i have a sound child, with attached walk/run sounds.... thats not the issue.. I want to change it during runtime, sorry if i phrased my question badly. (walk on mud -> walk on wood)

the manual talks about the "character:Animate" action, which should be able to change it, but I'm not seeing any option to do it? any ideas?
  • Ah

I've not done it myself but what I think you're after is this:

Character: Animate
    -Put the character in or tick 'is player'
    Method: SET STANDARD
    Change: WALK
    -tick "change sound"
    -put the new sound in the box.

Most of the actual settings to do this only appear when you've done the previous thing in the settings. (If you follow my meaning)
  • ahhh, thats a hidden one ;) perfect, thanks a lot!
  • Hey all -

I'm getting my player(s) setup with walk sounds and I want to be able to just change the sound when I walk from wood to snow and I'm not seeing the "WALK" option under "SET STANDARD" that is listed above.  The only options I see are:

MOVE SPEED FLOAT
    TALK BOOL
    TURN FLOAT

Is there a different way to change the walk sounds now?
  • What animation engine does your player use?
  • I spent some time yesterday researching a method of marking objects as different surfaces and then applying a look-up table to the actor with several different audio clip arrays that will be triggered off of an event tag in the animation.  I'll letcha know what I come up with.
  • Okay - 

I got this working.  I'm using this video as a springboard:

But instead of having it simply be one sound per surface type, I made an array for every surface...so I have about 10 variants of each footstep interaction working with a Mecanim based character.  

Working pretty well thus far.
  • edited September 2015
    @themightyzq
    Thanks for the video, I tried this method and works great.
    The only thing I cannot understand is how can I set the sounds of the footsteps as Sfx and not as Speech?
    Because if I add the script for the sounds under the player prefab, the volume become part of the speech volume.
    There's something I'm missing? How you solved the volume assignment?
    Thanks!
    Ps: I moved the script under the Sound child game object, where there was the original footsteps sounds but the animation event cannot find the references...
  • @2finger - ahhhhh...I'm not using voice over yet, just text...so I haven't had to cross that bridge at this moment...

I was trying to figure out how to get it on the sound child as well but the script needs access to the animator component on the parent.  Perhaps @ChrisIceBox ;might have some pointers? 
  • What script?  The animator component shouldn't need to be on the same object as the sound child.
  • @ChrisIceBox - I made one based off of the video that I posted above awhile ago.  It's a two-part script where you put one on your player that has the surface based footstep sound array and then the other script is attached to whatever object the player is walking on to designate what surface type it is.
  • edited September 2015
    So along the same lines, does anyone know a good WORKING system for changing footsteps by terrain texture / floor texture in their AC project yet? (Especially needed in first person games that use terrain)

There are many solutions out there if you look up "footsteps" on the asset store, but my concern is... are any compatible? Since a lot of them use stuff like raycasting and adding a audio source to the player... I don't know if they'll run into an issue with what AC is already doing and just break so it would be good to hear what has worked for others.
  • I would like to make AC as compatible with such assets as possible, so if you run into a conflict please let me know.  It should be possible to make AC's requirement to have an AudioSource on a character's root object optional, which should make such integrations easier.
  • Ok, well update for anyone interested:

I got an asset called Smart Footstep System running now, because I liked the demo. It's super cheap, and it does most of what I wanted.

So the way I used it was actually use it with AC was use the third person method (insert an event marker at each footstep in animation for a first person 'dummy' character) but hide the character mesh in first person. It's pretty simple adding animation events and explains in the doc.

Works perfect to detect terrain/surface changes and switch to a new footsteps array

I had to add my own playmaker audio mixer randomness (and putting pitch/vol params on my editor audio mixer) to give some randomness. And because I'm adding my own jumping/running I have to mess with that a bit. But overall I'm happy with this solution for now and don't think there's any AC issues.

I say I don't think because I do get something weird in the editor where sound doesn't play after the first time in playback mode, unless I click on AC's in game menus or interactions in playmode, then it starts. Not sure where that issue is coming from but I'm sure i'll sort that out at some point, it's not really a big deal at the moment
  • Thanks, @AdventureFan.  This would be a good tip for the Extending the editor forum, if you don't mind re-posting it.
  • Brilliant little asset - and ridiculously cheap. Get it now if you need footstep sounds in your game!

@AdventureFan: I don't have the problem you describe, so probably not an issue with AC.
  • @Snebjorn yes I built the project this morning and there's no issues with the game, so I'm not too worried. Glad you enjoy this footstep system too. I tried another footstep first that was complete junk, but this one I mentioned is fine as a starting point.

one other thing about it I noticed that I think the author forgets to mention in the docs: you can't mark the floor objects as static with this system. If you do that the floor will become glitchy, disappearing floor textures, etc...

@ChrisIceBox

Sure!