Forum rules - please read before posting.

background Speech interfers with interaction

HI, i noticed the following problem: i have a scene with a few constantly talking NPCs. which is done by starting an actionlist at the beginning, set to play in background. (the actionlist consists of dozens of playspeech and pause actions)

but everytime someone talks, clicking on hotspots doesn't seem to work anymore... is there any way to accomplish this?

thanks!

Comments

• Are the speech Actions themselves set to run in the background as well, or just the entire ActionList?
  • I tried both, but none worked...

(just in case it matters)
    the actionlist is a long row of:
    [pause game]-[play speech]-[pause game]-[play speech]-...........

and gets started by the OnStart cutscene via RunActionList (from run from start:1 / parallel: 1 / wait: 0)
  • removing the [pause game]'s didn't solve the problem either....
  • Will try to recreate it.
  • Can't get this to happen for me - so long as the list is set to Run In Background, speech doesn't affect gameplay at all.

You'll need to be more specific about this.  Are you prevented from moving, or literally just interacting?  Does the limitation occur only when speech is played, or whenever the list is running?  It may be that it's the speech menu that's somehow blocking your gameplay.  Try locking off your subtitles menu and see if that makes a difference.

• mhhh, i've rechecked it, and both lists are on run in background... locking off the subtitles menu doesn't fix it (except there is no visible text anymore of course), but it still prohibits clicking on the hotspot when the play speech nodes gets processed...

both actionlists are cutscenes, the first "onStart" starts the second, both run in background.
    could this be a menu order or settings problem? or an update problem? (the menu manager are from march this year)

thanks for looking into it!
  • I assume you've already tested on a new scene, deroesi?
  • I had still no luck after messing with the menu, BUT i noticed something (stupid i didn't notice it before) the hotspots do work when i doubleclick on them (during the speech)... without playspeech one click suffices...

maybe this is related to the update chris made to fix the actionlist delays? (i have vsync on, so i don't think its related to a too high framerate... but who knows)

• /edit: the hotspots I use have a "single use interaction", in case it matters
  • Again, is it just Hotspots, or all movement that gets blocked?

Instead of doing a two-step list, try placing your "background speech" Cutscene in the On start field - does that make a difference?  Not that that'd be the solution, but we need to find the source first.
  • ok, this was quite a hassle to try ;) the results is:

the character doesn't respond to a new position while the speech plays (but finishes the move)... double click always works. Putting the talk cutscene in the On start field caused the same issue/didn't change it.

the scene is fairly large (400 navmesh/hotspot ray length), in case that affects it.

i hope this helps!

• mhhhhhh :) i think i found it!

when i turn off "allow subtitle skipping" the problem vanishes.... but this setting should not cause this behaviour, should it?
  • When Allow subtitle skipping is on, another option is present: Skip background speech?  Is that off?  Try changing that, and setting the speech to background (the actual speech Actions, not just the ActionList).
  • mhhh this causes the speech to disappear when i click, but the command/hotspot isn't executed... so this unfortunately doesn't solve it.....
  • Well, the "allow subtitle skipping" clue should be enough for me to pin the problem down, now.  Leave with me.