Forum rules - please read before posting.

First Person Distance...

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi All, 

Firstly, this editor is fantastic, I'm having so much fun making lil point n clicks that were the staple of my childhood... 

That said, I'm also trying some new stuff with it but coming across the following problem - 

I've set up the first person mode with direct control, the cursor is locked to the centre of the screen and unlocked on key input and hotspots, inventory etc are all working fine, the problem is that if I stand in the centre of a room and spin 360 I can use all the interaction points... which is obviously a bit of a pain giving that you can't use a key in a door from 30ft away...that's just silly...

So anyone know a way to limit the interaction field? 

Thanks

Mara

Comments

• This tutorial might help (if I understood correctly what you are trying to achieve):
    http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/adventure-creator/tutorials/setting-player-prefab-auto-detect-hotspots

Good luck!
    orrence
  • Thanks Orrence, I had seen that and attempted to implement it but I think the first person camera causes some issues with it... II'll give it another bash tho and see where I end up...
  • Update - Attempted that, won't work for some reason... none of the hotspots appear to highlight once the detector is created and added to the player prefab... I followed it step by step so unless I've missed something in an earlier tutorial I can't see a reason for it not working...
  • Be sure to set the Hotspot detection method to Player Vicinity (in the Settings Manager).

However, you may want instead to affect the Hotspot ray length value instead (underneath Raycast Settings).  This determines how far away from the camera Hotspots can be detected.
  • Perfect, Chris, you are a prince among men.

Cheers