Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot interaction method

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best way to implement the following functionality for hotspots.

When you are with MouseOver a hotspot to just show the text name for that hotspot. This is working. But when you click on it I want the interaction menu to appear, with either "look at" or "use" or both menu buttons, depending what was set on hotspot component, and when I click a button on that menu, to do that interaction.

I have tried almost all the combinations in Settings Interface, Hotspots and Menu Interactions but I can't get this. The closest I came with a solution is having "Context Sensitive" and on Interaction Menu appear type "On Hotspot" and "Appear at Cursor and Freeze". The problem is that this menu appears on MouseOver and not on MouseClick.

Also when I have a hotspot with both "Use" and "LookAt" click on "LookAt" does nothing, and that interaction is done only on RightMouseClick. I want it to work only from that small interaction menu.

Can you please point me in the right direction to get this working?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    You want to use Choose Hotspot Then Interaction mode, which as the name implies, lets the player first choose the Hotspot, then the interaction type.  Context Sensitive mode is a more streamlined approach, but not as powerful.  The 2D Demo makes use of CHTI mode.

When you choose this, you'll get a new setting underneath called Select Interactions by, which you probably want to leave as Clicking Menu.  This will then require an Interaction Menu (i.e. one that contains Interaction elements, and has an Appear type of On Interaction.

The default menu manager comes with one pre-made, but it's a little basic.  Have you visited the downloads page?  You might want to look at the Walking Dead template, as it could be what you're looking for.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks alot again for the fast answer. I really appreciate it.
    The pre-made example in downloads pointed me in the right direction. I got it working the way I wanted.

I have another question, is it possible to play small clip animations as interaction icons without using the "animate" in AdventureCreator Editor. To play animations created with Unity Animator?
    Also can I animate mouse cursor only when mouse is over look-at or use.

Thanks in advance.
  • You can animate the Use and Look icons and not the regular pointer, no problem.

As for using the Animator, you might be able to get something going using a Unity UI-based Menu that's set to follow the cursor.  However, you'd very likely need to do some custom scripting to "read" the expected cursor type and play an animation accordingly - so not easily, I'm afraid.
  • The animation for icons work great. Later on I will write something custom for the cursor.
    Thanks for the idea and fast answer.