Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hey Chris,

I recently updated the project files and have a few errors that I'm not sure how to fix.

1. The class defined in script file named 'RuntimeVariables' does not match the file name!
UnityEngine.Resources:Load(String)
KickStarter:Awake() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:129)

2. The class defined in script file named 'RuntimeVariables' does not match the file name!
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object)
KickStarter:Awake() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:129)

3. PersistentEngine has no GlobalVariables component attached.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
KickStarter:Awake() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:153)

Comments

• This one as well : 

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SaveSystem.CreateVariablesData (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 vars, Boolean isOptionsData, VariableLocation location) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:1371)
    SaveSystem.SaveSaveGame (Int32 slot) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:400)
    SaveSystem.SaveGame (Int32 slot) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:274)
    AC.ActionListManager.EndList (AC.ActionList _list) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/ActionListManager.cs:179)
    AC.ActionList.EndCutscene () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:188)
    AC.ActionList+<RunAction>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:172)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String, Object)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction(Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:127)
    AC.<RunAction>c__Iterator1:MoveNext() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:176)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String, Object)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction(Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:127)
    AC.ActionList:BeginActionList(Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:105)
    AC.ActionList:Interact() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:71)
    AC.SceneSettings:FindPlayerStart() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/SceneSettings.cs:106)
    AC.SceneSettings:Start() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/SceneSettings.cs:71)

• You have to rename the file "RuntimeVariables.cs" to "GlobalVariables.cs" if Unity does not do this automatically for you on update of AC.

• Actually, after reading all recent posts, the way to go seems to delete AC folder completely and reimport 1.33b.
    If your problems still persist, re-post the errors you get after having imported 1.33b from scratch.
    Good luck,
    orrence.
  • Unfortunately the 1.32/1.33 update was a bit of a nightmare, because I mis-judged how Unity handles changes in filenames.

The latest update, 1.33b, reverts everything back to how things were in 1.31 (with the fixes/additions kept, though).  Basically, if you update to 1.33b from 1.31 or below, you'll be fine - if from 1.32 or 1.33, you should do as @orrence suggests and delete the entire AC folder and re-import from scratch.  So long as your own game's assets are outside of that folder, you'll be fine.
  • Hey not a problem! These things happen :D

• edited May 2014
    I was able to update the build and get it properly functioning except for the camera, the portraits, and inputs.

The 3rd person camera takes a second to snap to the character, and the dialog portraits are not displaying, just the characters name.

As far as the inputs - I had to re-create them, which is fine, but none of them are working either.

Thanks!
  • I'm afraid I can't recreate any of these issues - they all work as intended on my end.  Did you remove AC completely before updating?
  • I did...completely deleted it and re imported the update. 
  • Ugh...and my controller inputs don't work at all either...I broke it! :(
  • Okay I fixed the inputs, it reset stuff I didn't notice! :D 

Now how do I setup these portraits to display? I had a custom setup before and trying to use your setup only from now on.
  • You'll want to create a Menu that has an "Appear type" of When Speech Plays.  Then add a Label to it, and change the "Label type" to Dialogue Portrait.

If you want, you can copy the ready-made Subtitles Menu from the Demo_MenuManager asset (just assign it to the Menu Manager and click the cog to the left of Subtitles to copy it).  Then amend the copied Menu by adding the Label described above - the other two already on it show the name of the speaking character, and the text they're speaking.
  • Awesome - I set it all up easily. How do I have the position of each portrait independent of one another? Meaning, the Main character portrait position is different than the NPC's.
  • That's not so simple.  It's possible, but cumbersome: basically you have to have two menus - one for each position you want - then lock / unlock each of them as appropriate.

You can't assign a Menu to a Character in the way you're thinking, so when the Player speaks you have to use two "Menu: Change state" Actions to lock one off, and unlock the other.  To save time, however, you could put these two Actions into an Inventory ActionList (and the reverse of these Actions into another), and call it using the "Engine: Run ActionList" Action instead.  Inventory ActionLists are scene-independent, so think of it as a "global coroutine" you can call upon to run common tasks.
  • @ChrisIceBox Is this still the case for independent character portrait positions (e.g. main on the left, npc on the right)? Would you still advise approaching this with lock/unlock menus?

• No - this is an old post, and the above advice is outdated.

A Subtitles menu can be limited to specific characters, so that e.g. a Subtitles menu with a left-leaning portrait graphic can be used for the Player character, and a separate Subtitles menu with a right-leaning graphic can be used for all others.